Add-on Separate news feed for moderators to monitor "problem members"

Joe Link

We all have members who like to walk the line between what is allowed and what isn't. It'd be a whole lot easier for moderators to watch these folks if there were a separate news feed, only viewable by moderators. Moderators would be able to add or remove members from this feed via the member profile.

I'd ask @Xon to add this to his Moderator Essentials addon, but I know how busy he is with XF 2.2 at the moment.

We all have members who like to walk the line between what is allowed and what isn't. It'd be a whole lot easier for moderators to watch these folks if there were a separate news feed, only viewable by moderators. Moderators would be able to add or remove members from this feed via the member profile.

I'd ask @Xon to add this to his Moderator Essentials addon, but I know how busy he is with XF 2.2 at the moment.
The ability to add a member to an admin/sMod "alert" list would be awesome.....any post, thread, conversation, etc. I have just a few that I check regularly, until I forget....including some newly registered members that appear suspicious... Even better would be the option to auto-moderate their every post/thread/conversation until they are proven "real".

That option already exists via user group permissions.

(not conversations of course)
Conversation scammers are the biggest issue right now for automotive forums.

Blocking conversations sounds great (via usergroups and post count)....but they have already figured out that 5 or 10 BS posts gets them clear....OR my Contact Us form fills up with complaints that "I want to purchase X from your site, why can't I contact them directly?

My forum has 40-50 daily REAL registered users. 100+ autoblocked as spammers. For LARGE forums, the solutions are limited.

1 of those "real" is the headache....and my current efforts are "mostly" working....but as those scammers get smarter, more admin tools are needed. A "quick" means of adding a new registration to the "watch list", one that includes conversations, would be welcome.

Would one be viewing these conversations or just knowing that one has been started?
Viewing is a dangerous road...however, as an added thought, viewing a MemberCard (as admin) and knowing they HAVE conversations would be super helpful (versus needing to access the ACP to see their conversation count) MemberCard currently shows Messages, Media, Reactions, Badges, Points (well, mine does)....easily knowing a "no post" member has active Conversations would be a first step.

Or a trigger that notes: Usergroup X (ie: 5 or less posts) and conversations greater than 0.

Knowing would be a good start....fancy would add keyword triggers ...ie: phone prefixes, email domains, words like Venmo or gmail to the trigger list. (for whatever reason, Cedar Rapids IA is a hotspot for scammers right now....well, unless you count their Nigerian IP addy....lol) (oh, and scammers who have Paypal issues, but their girlfriends Venmo works fine)

My IP and other triggers are working decent...for now....

Side comedy: Had one scammer (has about 30 blocks thus far) actually used the Contact Us twice in 10 minutes from two different usernames to complain they had been blocked as Spam....from a Nigerian IP....at the end of the day, I hope I'm smarter than they are ;)

-----
edit: Call it a "conversation monitor"

Conversation scammers are the biggest issue right now for automotive forums.

Blocking conversations sounds great (via usergroups and post count)....but they have already figured out that 5 or 10 BS posts gets them clear....OR my Contact Us form fills up with complaints that "I want to purchase X from your site, why can't I contact them directly?

My forum has 40-50 daily REAL registered users. 100+ autoblocked as spammers. For LARGE forums, the solutions are limited.

1 of those "real" is the headache....and my current efforts are "mostly" working....but as those scammers get smarter, more admin tools are needed. A "quick" means of adding a new registration to the "watch list", one that includes conversations, would be welcome.

I recently stumbled onto this: https://xenforo.com/community/resou...ermissions.5658/updates#resource-update-35491

I also run a car forum. I don't know what your size is or how many you have on staff but we work it like this:

Every first post from every new account is moderated by a real live person. Moderation approval gives them a post count of [1]. With the addon above, you can remove all conversation abilities from the user group but allow conversations to staff [only]. You can then just set the minimum post counts to [1] to open conversation perms for approved members.

We recently had an issue where a new account was created and they went to shooting conversation messages to as many members as they could find. Now, without an approved post under their belt, they can start a conversation with me.

It has not been intensive to review first posts from new accounts. It's also pretty simple to determine which accounts are bogus through a manual review.

New user accounts enter into a [registered] user group while those with their first post manually approved by staff enter into a [New User Confirmed] group.

Granted, we have members that register but never post (maybe to see some image or instruction they couldn't otherwise). Those are ok too as they then have no real reason to start a conversation with another member.

Top Bottom