Lack of interest SEO: Option to force users to provide alt description for images

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Mr Lucky

It's great we can now add alt descriptions (along with align, easy link etc.) but most users are unaware of these when they post.

It would be great if as soon as the image is inserted, these options open so users do know know what they can do. (Ideally with explanatory text showing what the icons mean rather than just tooltip)

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 11.09.53.png

But most importantly, it would be good if there was an admin option that we could choose that actually forces an alt description. Obviously not every admin wants or needs this, but for many of us this is crucial for SEO hence I suggest it as an option.

Options:

• Open image edit dialogue on insertion of image (tick)
  • Show explanatory text (tick)
  • Force alt description (tick)
Please upvote if you like this suggestion (likes in the first post no longer count as supporting the suggestion)

Last edited:
Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
at the very least, the images should pick up the thread title as alt text. one thing with the edit toolbar... it appears at the bottom of the image. in many cases, it never even appears. because it hides below the image. getting users to add alt text might work on out tightly regulated forums with serious members... in most cases, like mine, it is going to be a futile exercise :(

Definitely agree that at the very least, the alt tag for all images should by default be the thread title with increments of numbers -

Like if you added 3 images to this thread, it could be

SEO: Option to force users to provide alt description for images.png
SEO: Option to force users to provide alt description for images1.png
SEO: Option to force users to provide alt description for images2.png

It would make it more cohesive.

Default thread title may be preferable, but loads of images with same alt tag? Could appear spammy to Google.
Yeah, but that - or nothing? I'd imagine if some users posted images a lot of the time - they may be deterred from posting if they're forced to add alt tags for every single image. A suggestion of some sort for the image would be a happy medium.

haha. if you have a stock image page about apples... what would you put in alt tags for 20 images of apples? but yeah, it is going to be horrible for people using accessibility tools though. not that alt-less images are going to be any more helpful.

Yeah, but that - or nothing? I'd imagine if some users posted images a lot of the time - they may be deterred from posting if they're forced to add alt tags for every single image. A suggestion of some sort for the image would be a happy medium.
Yes sure, but although they will probably never "get" SEO, they may appreciate that thier post stands a better chance to be found if it is indexed better by Google. Especially with classifieds - they want it to be found in serach results.

It's a stretch but in SEO I think you have to try and make every little count.

Image computer-learning algorithms would/could be awesome. Though there are some instances where that just wouldn't work at all.

Yellow Flower
Flowers
Man
Unknown

iOS Photos search is brilliant. I had a photo of some damp issues inside a window cavity. I did a search for mushroom and it found it:

Mushroom in window cavity

The same search on the synced app on my iMac couldn't find it.

But we digress, I'm not expecting anything as good as that, and of course thread title would be better than nothing.

I just think the suggestion request should ask for the beat feasible solution and I think force user to put a description is the best for now.

Last edited:
Maybe the alt tag or certain options could utilise an alert or something that blinks twice to highlight the available option. Meh. All great ideas really!

maybe the alt text field could be placed over the image. a text field where user can enter text right there. without using the toolbar at all. honestly, i am lazy enough myself to locate the toolbar to press the button to enter the alt text. if it is in my face on all embedded images, i am more likely to quickly write something and save. though i guess it would only work well on larger sized images. and could be painful on smartphone displays. maybe it could be added to the preview bar. i mean not all images are added to the posts so it sort of make more sense in the attachment panel itself.

Top Bottom