XF 2.0 SEO Issue: Banned Member Profiles Seen as Broken Links

Hello Everyone

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

I am attaching a screenshot of one of my SEMRush SEO audits for ExcelMale.com

Banned members are seeing as internal broken links. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• SEO error xenforo 2 banned members profiles show up as broken links.webp
    SEO error xenforo 2 banned members profiles show up as broken links.webp
    75.1 KB · Views: 22
Stop using SEMRush?

If you block members in robots.txt or in permissions (deny permission for guests/visitors which is recommended for all sorts of reasons including member privacy), search engines won't crawl them and it's not a broken link - it's not even a link.

What SEMRush wants to call it or what they want to charge their users to see is up ti them but it's meaningless beyond that report.

It is a broken link.

It was there, and now it's not.

Short of having all invalid members profiles redirect to the home page (not a good idea) - I'm not sure what you actually want to have happen here?

Some reading here: https://yoast.com/seo-anti-patterns-301-redirect-all-your-404s-to-your-homepage/

Yoast suggests a better idea than serving a 404 would be serving a 410 header which means "content deleted" so Google knows to remove it from the index - https://yoast.com/deleting-pages-from-your-site/ ... unfortunately this doesn't seem to be consistently handled by Google yet so it's unsure how effective this would be.

Personally, I'd like to see 301 redirects in place for merged threads and 410 responses for deleted content.

It is a broken link.

It was there, and now it's not.
I think you missed my point.

If you block /members/ in robots. txt or block viewing members in permission, there is no broken link.

Short of having all invalid members profiles redirect to the home page (not a good idea) - I'm not sure what you actually want to have happen here?

Some reading here: https://yoast.com/seo-anti-patterns-301-redirect-all-your-404s-to-your-homepage/
Bad idea. How would visitors now know that a link doesn't exist? What if they just mistyped something? Redirecting every 404 to the honepage tells visitors nothing.

Yoast suggests a better idea than serving a 404 would be serving a 410 header which means "content deleted" so Google knows to remove it from the index - https://yoast.com/deleting-pages-from-your-site/ ... unfortunately this doesn't seem to be consistently handled by Google yet so it's unsure how effective this would be.
Also a bad idea unless it was actually content that once existed and has since been removed.

The return codes are a standard like many things on the internet. A 404 is not the same as a 410 and should not be misusded in that way,

I think you missed my point.

If you block /members/ in robots. txt or block viewing members in permission, there is no broken link.

Sorry, I was responding to the OP, not you.

Bad idea. How would visitors now know that a link doesn't exist? What if they just mistyped something? Redirecting every 404 to the honepage tells visitors nothing.

Did you actually read the link? They are telling you that redirecting a 404 to the home page to avoid broken links is the wrong thing to do.

Also a bad idea unless it was actually content that once existed and has since been removed.

The return codes are a standard like many things on the internet. A 404 is not the same as a 410 and should not be misusded in that way,

Again, I'm not sure you actually read the link?

A 404 indicates that something wasn't found.

A 410 indicates that something which was once there, is no longer.

The article suggests that instead of just using 404 for everything, including deleted material which is no longer there - we should instead be uses 410 responses to give more meaning "there was something there once, so you're not going crazy - but it's gone now, sorry".

Interestingly, a banned user doesn't return either of these - it returns a 403 "forbidden" because you need to be a moderator or admin with the appropriate permissions to be able to view banned users.

So technically, XenForo is not doing anything wrong here. A 403 (forbidden) is arguably more appropriate than a 404 (not found) or a 410 (no longer there), since it was found, it still is there - you just aren't permitted to view it anymore. The message given to users about a banned user is "You must be logged-in to do that". I'm not sure there's much more we should be doing there?

Good SEO is not about what is best for search engines - it is what is best for users. If you confuse your users, then that's a bad outcome.

There would be a difference if the user had been deleted rather than banned - it is this scenario where I think returning a 410 would be better than a 404. "There was once a user profile here, but it has gone".

It's a subtle difference, but I think it would be more useful than simply giving people a standard 404 response to everything that has been removed.

Sorry. You're right - I thought I'd read that Yoast article previously so I didn't bother again but obviously I was thinking of an article with a similar title by someone else. :oops: I'm relieved, actually, because I read what Yoast says quite regularly and he usually gives good advice.

I agree with you.

Reactions: Sim
@Sim
I'm also facing the same kind of issue. One thing that comes in my mind, if we add a template modification in which if a member profile is a public use do-follow else no-follow.

What you think about it.?

Top Bottom