1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SEO Help...removing pages/plugins

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Russ, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I'm not SEO expert by any means so bare with me :).

While cleaning up our site, we want to remove certain things such as pages and some addons.

Page example being...

And add-on being the event plugin by jaxel, is there like a best practice to go about... we disabled the event plugin awhile back and have hundreds of errors for it(crawl errors), so ya... what's the way to avoid this(other than don't change your site around a lot heh).
  2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Maybe disallow those in a robots.txt file? That will prevent robots from looking for them in the future.
    Russ likes this.
  3. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Redirect the links to your home page through .htaccess
    ForestForTrees and Russ like this.
  4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Easy enough I suppose, thanks Dan
    Dan likes this.
  5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Would redirecting our old pages to our main forums be better than disallowing you think?
  6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Personally I think it would be because if those pages are already indexed then you want them to eventually fall out of the search engines; using .htaccess to do a 302 redirect to a different URL would achieve that.
    Russ likes this.
  7. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

I agree with what Kevin says. Additionally it also makes a difference weather or not your webmaster tools show links from other websites to your non existing pages.