SEO disaster, this is not feedback

Mike Law

Hi guys,

Love xenforo, hate my current google results.
We lost about 60% of our traffic, since about a week of moving over.

We have redirects, thanks to Kier, to redirect our vbseo traffic.

We went from roughly 50/60.000 uniques to 20.000 at the moment.

Please advise, tips and tools to remedy this,

This is not a XenForo support issue as it's not related to the software.
Hence why I moved your original, identical thread to feedback.

You can expect some drop in traffic when moving software platforms.

It will recover in due course.

By the community yes, official XenForo support, no.

You just need to allow some time for the traffic to recover.

You have the migration scripts in place and once Google and the other search engines have reindexed, your traffic will recover.

Hence it is in the "general support" forum under
XenForo Community Support

Obviously some drop is to be expected when changing software, I realize this. I also realize as a community we can discuss these issues and see if we can come up with some cool ways of improving our results beyond what was the previous result.

Back on topic,

Have other people experienced drops in traffic, how did you remedy this?
Any tips on how to improve on it?

Maybe you switched too early.
Maybe your users don't like the changes because of the new software.
Maybe you didn't import/convert some of the important add-ons which were important for your users....
That's why i always warned for too quick migrations without analysing the existing page....

What was the feedback from the community?

Maybe you switched too early.
Maybe your users don't like the changes because of the new software.
Maybe you didn't import/convert some of the important add-ons which were important for your users....
That's why i always warned for too quick migrations without analysing the existing page....

What was the feedback from the community?

Hi, oh everyone LOVES IT! there is no better alternative than xenforo!

I am not talking about visitors in such a way, I mean search engine traffic.
Regular posting, member visits is better than ever. This thread deals with the search engine side

It's true, this happens any time you switch forum software, convert websites, etc.
It takes time for Google to re-index your site. That can take weeks, sometimes a couple of months or more.

Now you have to see the crawl rate in the Google Webmaster tools. See if there are a drop of indexed pages (use site:http://yoursite.xxx, or you can use web tools like Seo Monitor). Remember that with the Google Webmaster tools you can see if there are errors on migration and correct this.

Sorry to re-state the obvious Mike, but.... it happens.

Anytime at all that you change forum software, and Google has to re-index your entire site, you do lose traffic. Sometimes just a little, sometimes an amazing amount, to use your words. It's not the software's fault. Nothing and no one is at fault, I'm sure you know. Sometimes Google gets the reindexing done in a matter of weeks, sometimes it takes months. Patience is the key here. Sad but true.

Sorry to re-state the obvious Mike, but.... it happens.

Anytime at all that you change forum software, and Google has to re-index your entire site, you do lose traffic. Sometimes just a little, sometimes an amazing amount, to use your words. It's not the software's fault. Nothing and no one is at fault, I'm sure you know. Sometimes Google gets the reindexing done in a matter of weeks, sometimes it takes months. Patience is the key here. Sad but true.

I dont think anyone here puts any blame out, just stating the fact that we lost an amazing amount of traffic.
Its nice to see people defend something, but in this case there is no need for it. This thread was started to remedy, any possible way, the effect of migration traffic loss.

Just because we like this product does not mean we can not discuss the negative impact of certain aspects of migrating, whether it is vbul to xenf or xenf to vbul.

Top Bottom