SEO and Xenforo

jauburn

I'm using the Google Sitemap Generator to generate sitemaps for my Xenforo forum (and others on the server we use). I took a peek into the xml file created by Sitemap Generator for the Xenforo board and was not too pleased with what it was including.

Along with threads, I saw links to user profiles, "preview" pages that led to just one post, and "edit-inline," which is useless, among other things that would do no good for SEO.

So this leads to questions. Is there an effort afoot to include some type of sitemap generation, with options for what is included?

I took a peak at the sitemap addon listed on this forum, but I would prefer a tried-and-tested solution.

I've used vbseo for vbulletin, but apparently those folks have no desire to build something similar for xenforo.

This is an third party addon for xenforo, which you can setup to only submit thread and forum urls:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sitemap-for-xenforo.9684/

Don't use the program you used before, I bet google itself is much better than that. In Google Webmaster Tools you can setup google to not visit certain url types like "&highlight" or "&cookie_id". You can also tell search engines to not visit certain areas like "members/" in robots.txt

This is an third party addon for xenforo, which you can setup to only submit thread and forum urls:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/sitemap-for-xenforo.9684/

Don't use the program you used before, I bet google itself is much better than that. In Google Webmaster Tools you can setup google to not visit certain url types like "&highlight" or "&cookie_id". You can also tell search engines to not visit certain areas like "members/" in robots.txt

Ah, okay. I have to figure all this crap out. Well, I guess if it were easy, everyone would be doing it. Ah, wait a minute: then I might have a reason to go back to living a real life & quit with this silly computer stuff. :ROFLMAO:

:) I would do this steps:

1. setup a url structure. You can use friendly ulrs, standard urls, urls where the thread title is integrated. You can setup this in xenforo>acp, and for some options you have to edit .htaccess to enable them
2. submit the site structure to google webmaster tools with the addon I mentioned above
3. setup robots.txt and put all the directories in the disallow sections which you don't want to search (/members as an example)
4. tell google search spider to search more pages than usual with google webmaster > settings > crawl speed > high

After some days you see some url parts like "highlight" or "&cookie_id" and in google webmaster tools you can either enable them or disable them.

3. setup robots.txt and put all the directories in the disallow sections which you don't want to search (/members as an example)
4. tell google search spider to search more pages than usual with google webmaster > settings > crawl speed > high
After some days you see some url parts like "highlight" or "&cookie_id" and in google webmaster tools you can either enable them or disable them.

Done most of those things except for #4.

What, specifically, for xenforo, should the robots.txt look like so that the crap is not indexed?

(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)

Top Bottom