Self server options - DNS, email etc....

speedway

First up, sorry for the server questions today, I am looking to setup the best hosting I can for my site so am looking at many options.

Currently I have 2 VPS servers, one of them hosts my site and my other 6 domains (no sites). This one has no control panel and runs nginx etc. The other one is a throwback to when I started with VPS servers, it has cpanel and currently only runs my DNS and my email for my mina site plus one other domain that I have had for the past 12 years.

What I want to do is consolidate both of those servers into a more powerful VPS/Dedicated server. For DNS I am considering going with an off server hosted DNS. For email I am lost.

First up DNS. Can anyone recommend a good, cost effective DNS provider for a small site such as mine. This would take some of load off whatever I end up with.

Second, email server. Like I said, I have my current domains email running through cpanel and its mail services plus another domain that is now email only. I have looked into iRedMail but that runs apache which I do not want on my new server, so, again, can someone recommend some sort of easy solution for serving, say 20 email addresses form 2 or three different domains. I would rather keep this one "inhouse" so to speak, can't really justify the additional cost for an off site hosted email solution.

I am open to any and all suggestions as I look to make my site(s) as fast as I possibly can.

Cheers

Was just reading about Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin, is this the way I should be looking at going? I *think* I can replace Apache with nginx on these now.....

This is what I use now:
CentOS 6.4 x64 minimal install, with Google Apps integration. No panels or other fancy things, just rpm's.

IMG_25052013_161322.png

Yeah would of recommended google apps but it's not free anymore. I was lucky, have around ~40 domains using free google apps and testing out 1 domain using outlook live domains which is still free.

Bruce, for your DNS, I'd suggest DNSMadeEasy. I've been with them for 4 years now, and their service is excellent.

Thanks guys

Hmmm, DNSMadeEasy.... must be something in that, there are ads for them on my site right now! Will go take a look at what they have/offer.

Yeah would of recommended google apps but it's not free anymore. I was lucky, have around ~40 domains using free google apps and testing out 1 domain using outlook live domains which is still free.
True. But even if you pay for one account, you can use the main Google Apps account with unlimited nicknames and add into it unlimited alias domains. For axivo.com, I have the original Google Apps Beta when they provided 2,000 users by default. I remember they asked me if I wanted more than that... :giggle:
Bruce, for your DNS, I'd suggest DNSMadeEasy. I've been with them for 4 years now, and their service is excellent.
Or use your own DNS server and have total control of everything. :)

Just signed up with DNSMadeEasy under the small business plan ($29.95 p/yr). Now starts my learning curve on getting my DNS records transferred from Web Host Manager over to DNSME :) Any suggestions welcome! :unsure:

Just signed up with DNSMadeEasy under the small business plan ($29.95 p/yr). Now starts my learning curve on getting my DNS records transferred from Web Host Manager over to DNSME :) Any suggestions welcome! :unsure:

easy peasy... especially if your current provider has the ability to export your existing ones and the new one to import. ;)

Thanks matey, am on a self managed VPS at the mo with cpanel/whm, I'll look at what export options I have on that. If not I will create a support ticket (even though I am leaving my host in 30 odd days :))

Thanks matey, am on a self managed VPS at the mo with cpanel/whm, I'll look at what export options I have on that. If not I will create a support ticket (even though I am leaving my host in 30 odd days :))

:).. I'm using (and have been for a LONG time) ZoneEdit. In fact, I've been with them long enough that the 3 main domains I have are done there and never cost me a penny. Can't beat that with a stick. I know what you mean about no management console. I'm in the process of playing with a new dedicated server... and look a boob I forgot to include my home IP in my fail2ban config file - so for the next 10 minutes I'm locked out of SSH to it. :oops:

http://help.dnsmadeeasy.com/domain/import-records-from-a-name-server-using-axfr/

for whm http://help.dnsmadeeasy.com/domain/import-records-from-a-zone-file/

although i do recommend manual method so you get to know the new system http://help.dnsmadeeasy.com/getting-started/

Thanks, looking into the WHM version, just finding my zone files. Loooooong time since I stuffed around with DNS in WHM

Screen shot 2013-05-28 at 2.27.17 PM.webp

I am probably the worst person to be playing with DNS, it is outside my comfort zone. Staring at screens right now with, for example, my nameserver info at name.com, in WHM and trying to find where to put the same into DNSME. I'll get it in the end, I will probably kill at least one domain before I get it right :)

Ok, I have setup my first domain on DNSME but it is not working out how I thought. Heres what I did.

Add the domain to the interface. This automatically assigns 5 DNSME nameservers.
Create an A record for the domain name pointing to my first VPS. Not site there yet. TTL is 60
Created 5 more A records pointing to ns0, ns1, ns2, ns3 & ns4 with the 5 ips addresses of the dnsme nameservers.
Created an alias for the 5 nameservers and told the domiain to use them.

The records show:

1 A record for the base domain name
5 A records for the namerservers.

Now, I expected to be able to do a "host <domain name>" on at least the base domain as I gave it 60 TTL but....... when I do that it goes to some IP I have no idea above, one from softlayer.com. Now, the dnsme nameservers have a TTL of 86400 that I cannot change, would that be the cause of me not seeing my assigned IP. An no, I have not assigned the nameservers to the domain name at my registrar, mainly because the registrar won't accept them cause they can't be found!!!

What am I doing wrong or am I not waiting long enough?

Well, I just deleted everything to do with that domain, obviously did something wrong anyway. Off to try and figure this maze out.....

Hey, I feel ya'... I HATE php5-fpm... stupid thing ships using a socket on debian and my setup looks at a port! It's taken me a while to figure that out (been up to long). :confused:

Well, I just deleted everything to do with that domain, obviously did something wrong anyway. Off to try and figure this maze out.....

I'm currently decorating the house, but when I've done I can show you more on how mine are set up. But, as basic set up to at least get the site responding only needs these two entries

dnsmadeeasy.webp

Top Bottom