XF 2.1 Self Joined User Groups?

Big Dan

Does XenForo have a feature to allow members to join a user group on their own? vBulletin had an option for publicly joinable user groups.

The use case for me is the ability for a member to block off topic forums from being seen without needing me to manually edit their user groups or permissions. Member joins a group that restricts access to several forums. Nothing stood out to me on the back end as me being able to do this.

The setup I'm mulling over implementing is this:
  1. Create a new user profile radio button field. "Access to off topic forums". With option Yes or No.
  2. Create a user group promotion using user field criteria. Choice is "No" add user to X group.
  3. Create a second promotion to undo the additional group if the member goes back and chooses Yes.
It should work. Is there an easier way? I tried using the upgrades system but you cannot set a free upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

I use that process for a couple sections on my forum....however, it DOESN'T work should you have sections that need moderator permissions to join.

There used to be a couple XF1 mods for Joinable User Groups, believe one is available for XF2 as well.

I use that process for a couple sections on my forum....however, it DOESN'T work should you have sections that need moderator permissions to join.

There used to be a couple XF1 mods for Joinable User Groups, believe one is available for XF2 as well.

I haven't been able to find an XF2 version of the add-on. Do you know the name? :)

I know this is a relatively older thread so I apologize for re-opening it but has anyone found an alternative to Join user Groups?

Right now I use the user group promotions. The Group Membership Moderators looks good but it's not what I'm looking for unfortunately. I'm looking for something more instant and with the capability of complete automation.

Top Bottom