XF 2.2 Seeking Suggestions: Restricting employee-only forum

Joan1211

Hello,

I'm seeking assistance in finding a solution for my company's forum, and perhaps one of you can provide some insights. I work at a company with 3,000 employees, and with the consent of my supervisor and the IT department, I'm launching a forum.

This platform will be exclusively for employees, and I'm exploring options for implementing this constraint. Each employee has a three-letter code (e.g JSI) and a company email (e.g JSI@company.com). I'm utilizing OzzModz's "email whitelist" add-on and initially planned to allow registrations based on the @company.com domain.

However, there's an issue with receiving emails on this domain. We use Microsoft webmail, and not every email is successfully delivered. Registration and password reset emails work fine, but notification emails don't come through. I've tried various options, including AWS SES, other SMTP services, and Xenforo's built-in PHP script.

My proposed solution is to have users register with their personal email addresses, but I'm uncertain how to limit registration to employees only. I considered adding an extra user field during registration, requiring users to enter their three-letter code.

The challenge, however, is verifying that each user is using their unique three-letter code. I possess a list of all employees and their valid three-letter codes, but I need a method to ensure that individuals from outside the company aren't registering with a random three-letter code.

I've thought about using an add-on with a registration code sent to employees, but that code could be shared with external users. Another option is sending unique registration codes, but this would be quite labor-intensive.

If anyone has suggestions that would not imply to request name and surname of users, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

The challenge, however, is verifying that each user is using their unique three-letter code. I possess a list of all employees and their valid three-letter codes, but I need a method to ensure that individuals from outside the company aren't registering with a random three-letter code.
You could use a php callback for a custom user field to check the code against an array of all valid codes.

However, it sounds like if you just resolve the email issues then the system you already have should work fine.

Top Bottom