XF 2.2 Searching on Prefix (and understanding what Prefixes are used for)

Steve Freides

I'm curious to know if there is a "right way" to utilize all the various ways we can categorize forum content. I'll give a specific example:

We currently have, in our main forum category, 4 individual forums we're going to combine. My current plan is to use 4 prefixes, corresponding to those individual forums we're consolidating, as I move all the content together. Good? Bad? Totally up to me? And a related question - I don't find a way to Search my forum on Prefix. Is that available and I haven't enabled it, or does it require an add-on (or something else)? If one can't search on prefix, does that mean I shouldn't use it?

-S-

I generally use prefixes as "flags" to give a bit of extra information about a thread.

So in the forum where I post news and announcements about the board, I have prefixes like "Announcement" (for announcing new features, changes, etc.), "Information" (for threads giving information about the board, like financial statements or statistics), and so on. Not so much for searching, then, as to give a quick visual cue in the thread list as to what a thread might be about.

In another forum, I had a series going called "Bible Passage of the Week" (BPoTW for short) so I had a prefix to mark those threads, again more for quick visibility than searching.

Not sure if they are searchable, though, since I don't really use them in a way that would require me to search them.

A few addon's you might be interested in if you want some added options with prefixes, a couple paid and a couple free:

A few addon's you might be interested in if you want some added options with prefixes, a couple paid and a couple free:
Good tips, this is my fave:

Top Bottom