Implemented Searches for 3 letter words at xenforo (ie. xenforo.com) - default to a google search.

Digital Doctor

I tried searching for: CMS
Vivvo is a CMS option for xenforo now.
For sake of completeness, I wanted to mention it in a few of the major CMS threads.

But I can't search for CMS.

Idea 1:
I've suggested that 3 letter words should be allowed for TITLE searching. Maybe not even for all three letter words, but certainly some. Maybe the admin could choose which ones would be allowed ?

Idea 2:
Another idea might be to forward the search to google as opposed to telling the user the search could not be done.

ie. if someone searches for CMS ... give them this result
Google Search: CMS site:xenforo.com

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I tried searching for: CMS
Vivvo is a CMS option for xenforo now.
For sake of completeness, I wanted to mention it in a few of the major CMS threads.

But I can't search for CMS.

Idea 1:
I've suggested that 3 letter words should be allowed for TITLE searching. Maybe not even for all three letter words, but certainly some. Maybe the admin could choose which ones would be allowed ?

Idea 2:
Another idea might be to forward the search to google as opposed to telling the user the search could not be done.

ie. if someone searches for CMS ... give them this result
Google Search: CMS site:xenforo.com
3 letters do not work due to MySQL requiring a minimum of 4. You can bypass this by doing CMS* which will display results.

MySQL config can be altered though to support 2 and 3 letter words, I had to do this for my Site, what with MG models tending to have 2 or 3 letters...

A better way to avoid problems with three letter searches would be to make "wildcard searches" the default search type in xenforo.
I believe that translates into ... if someone searched for CMS ... it would search for *CMS* by default.

Top Bottom