Search is not returning correct results for "title only"

Alternadiv

I searched "xenforo" and ticked the title only box. Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't my search results incorrect? Shouldn't "xenforo" be in the titles?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.14.09 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.14.09 PM.webp
    110.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.14.34 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 9.14.34 PM.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 17
I searched "xenforo" and ticked the title only box. Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't my search results incorrect? Shouldn't "xenforo" be in the titles?
In my opinion, it should. There are many times I want title-only results. But I'm not sure if that's how it was designed.

We don't use tags since we have had members in the past abuse tags, to the point of making them useless.

There isn't an option to only search titles without tags.
The wording of that option is very unclear, then. It basically says it will "also" search tags and lest my English dictionaries are incorrect, "also" means "in addition to." If I click that box, then, I expect it to search both titles and tags, not tags only, or the possible premise that titles will not be searched unless tags are present.

Unless I'm misunderstanding how things work. Not the first time it's happened!

Ideally, there would be two checkbox options--search titles, and search tags.

Can you move this thread to suggestions and I'll edit the first post? Or should I make a new thread to suggest this?
I second this...

In the meantime, another AndyB add-on to the rescue.

I was misunderstanding the discussion above...most of all @Brogan's reply. 🤦‍♂️ Must have been a pre-caffeinated senior moment for me.

I just tested this again on one of my forums where we rarely use tags, and the results are coming up with the searched word in the thread titles as expected. I misread the above as needing tags so the search would work properly. My bad.

But the wording is still unclear. What might be helpful for us is to change the phrase "Search titles only" to "Search titles and tags only," and lose or change the 1644940316723.webptooltip. And we can do that on our own by editing the phrases. 👍

I was misunderstanding the discussion above...most of all @Brogan's reply. 🤦‍♂️ Must have been a pre-caffeinated senior moment for me.

I just tested this again on one of my forums where we rarely use tags, and the results are coming up with the searched word in the thread titles as expected. I misread the above as needing tags so the search would work properly. My bad.

But the wording is still unclear. What might be helpful for us is to change the phrase "Search titles only" to "Search titles and tags only," and lose or change the View attachment 264788tooltip. And we can do that on our own by editing the phrases. 👍
I still don’t think the two should be combined. Searching titles only will usually get you threads with the specific topic you’re looking for. Adding tags into that will effectively broaden the search results so wide that they’re useless (on a site that uses tags).

In my case, I searched “xenforo” in resources because I wanted to see if anyone made a style with “xenforo” in the name, which would imply they slightly modified something about the default XF style (e.g. dark mode or something like that). But there are so many threads and resources using “xenforo” as a tag on this site (as you’d expect), that my search was completely ineffective.

That’s just my quick example but this would apply to a lot of searches on other forums, especially my Tacoma forum (but I don’t use tags yet).

Top Bottom