Search forum to display article type threads preview e.g. for portal

Would it work with widgets, like the other 2 homepage settings? That could be pretty cool. Very CMS-like look. I could also see it for the Expanded view. I wonder if they could just let you choose an article-type forum and the view be up to you. But then people would suggest all the node types and thread types. But I can see this in some form, indeed!

@Chris D this makes sense from multiple perspectives Search Forums needs to aggregate various types of content. Let us decide which visualization that content should have.

Should be implemented by default. And with little development costs (time).

Yes please! I am collecting featured articles from across my forum via custom field. The ability to show in that nice article view would be perfect. :)

Here would be my use case:

I use articles in mixed thread-type forums so the forum display is not of an article, it's the basic thread view. So you could create a Search Forum called Articles, and pull all the articles that are in the various forums for one place where they do display as an article in the forum view. So it appears as if you have a dedicated article forum but really it is aggregating the content.

It would be an awesome addition to an already awesome function, especially for those that like articles mixed with other threads.

Here would be my use case:

I use articles in mixed thread-type forums so the forum display is not of an article, it's the basic thread view. So you could create a Search Forum called Articles, and pull all the articles that are in the various forums for one place where they do display as an article in the forum view. So it appears as if you have a dedicated article forum but really it is aggregating the content.

It would be an awesome addition to an already awesome function, especially for those that like articles mixed with other threads.
Why limit it to just article threads though? I don't think there is anything inherent about the preview format that precludes a normal thread from being displayed that way.

I think the simplest suggestion is to simply have an option to force article view (preview/expanded) on all threads in a search forum.

I don't think XF is interested in conflating the article type views with non-article threads, it takes away from the essence of an article which is an actual thread type with a view.

However you may like this:

I don't think XF is interested in conflating the article type views with non-article threads, it takes away from the essence of an article which is an actual thread type with a view.

Articles have already been robbed of that essence by being shown without the preview...

You can create a search forum with an equally selectable Articles and Discussion threads, yet they are always displayed as discussion threads and no option for them to be displayed as articles. They have already been conflated as Discussion threads, that is my point.

If they find it acceptable to make all articles look like discussion threads, I see no non-technical reasons, aesthetic or essence wise, by which they couldn't do the reverse. And besides, the changes they need to make to show article threads with the article preview in a search forum is likely the exact same or nearly the same changes required to make what I'm suggesting possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom