• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[SchmitzIT] Social Block Widget

SchmitzIT

This is a small add-on allowing you to create a social block for your sidebar. At the moment it supports Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn, but I'm planning on adding additional social networking site. Suggestions or requests are most welcome.

Enclosed in the zip-file are a bunch of icons from KomodoMedia I found while googling for social media icons. Perhaps some of the local graphics people have, or are willing to design better icons to be used. The included icons are in png format, and are 16 by 16 pixels, but I think 24 by 24 might be best.

Installation instructions:
Upload the contents of the zip to your XF folder, and import the XML file. When that is done, click on Appearance -> Templates -> sidebar_online_users. Insert the following code where you want the Social Block to appear:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.si_social_block_on_off}">
     <xen:include template="si_social_block" />
</xen:if>

In the screenshot, I put it between the Online Staff and Online Users code.

Alternatively, if you use the [bd] Widget FrameWork, instead of doing the above template edit, configure the widget through the Framework.

Configuration instructions:
In your AdminCP, click on Options and find the Option Group [SchmitzIT] Social Block. You can add the identity for your social sites there, turn the individual icons on or off, and select what text should be shown in the title-tag of the images.

Disclaimer:
The add-on is provided "as is", and any express or implied warranties are disclaimed. In no event shall I be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages. In other words, use at your own risk.

Those attempting to hold me liable anyway will be locked in a room with Bob Brisco for three weeks.

Changelog:
1.01 - Added image title tag, and removed the {$xenOptions.boardTitle} from phrases due to that not working.
1.02 - Fixed some minor sloppiness on my end.
1.03 - Added a new admin option for setting the title of the widget.
1.0.4 - Corrected some phrases that somehow ended up looking weird.
Added Flickr and RSS support.
Created seperate downloads for the widget and non-widget framework version.

Attachments

I'm working on a small update. I mixed up the alt and title tag, and will address that :)

Updated to version 1.0.1

Your XenPorta module is redundant... instead of rewriting code... you can just do the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<module>
  <module_name>SchmitzIT_SocialBlock</module_name>
  <module_cache>+1 day</module_cache>
  <module_settings>
    <schmitzit_social_block_header desc="Show Sidebar Title Header?" format="check">1</schmitzit_social_block_header>
  </module_settings>
  <module_template><![CDATA[<xen:include template="si_social_block" />]]></module_template>
</module>

Your XenPorta module is redundant... instead of rewriting code... you can just do the following:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<module>
  <module_name>SchmitzIT_SocialBlock</module_name>
  <module_cache>+1 day</module_cache>
  <module_settings>
    <schmitzit_social_block_header desc="Show Sidebar Title Header?" format="check">1</schmitzit_social_block_header>
  </module_settings>
  <module_template><![CDATA[<xen:include template="si_social_block" />]]></module_template>
</module>

Even better :D

Isn't this very similar to what Miko and Pank over at themesinc.com have made with xenosociable?

That's possible. I mostly made it because prior to this I had the icons on my navbar and prefered something easier and less cluttered.

Nice addon there :)

Just one suggestion, if I may - on the screenshot I noticed its actually titled 'Social Block' in the sidebar. Wouldnt it be a bit more friendly (especially since I guess non-techy forum users dont have a clue what a 'block' is) to title it something like 'Social Links' or just' Social'?

Just a minor thing but thought I'd mention it :p

Nice addon there :)

Just one suggestion, if I may - on the screenshot I noticed its actually titled 'Social Block' in the sidebar. Wouldnt it be a bit more friendly (especially since I guess non-techy forum users dont have a clue what a 'block' is) to title it something like 'Social Links' or just' Social'?

Just a minor thing but thought I'd mention it :p

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, or even a way that the admin can set what to call it would even be better

Any update on a Widget Framework Version?

Not yet.I got caught up in some other stuff yesterday. I might get it done today, though.

And good idea on phrasing the title. Will get that implemented. Any requests for additional social sites to be added?

Heh. I actually did phrase it before. In any case, I now added an option to the admincp where you can change the title of the block to your heart's content.

For some reason the template change did not end up in the zip-file. I have updated the OP with the correct zip. My apologies.

Top Bottom