Scheduled Thread / Post

Peter

Create one or more posts ahead of time to be automatically submitted later.

For example, type the post and get it formatted nicely and then wait for the "press release day" for it to be submitted. News/media/entertainment industries get information but are not allowed to be released until later on (days, weeks, etc.). Even useful for forum announcements.

What do you think?

Upvote 191
Oh yes. I really hope the devs consider adding this... - to any type of content (posts, resources etc.).

I see this feature being truly useful for articles and maybe resources too. Without restrictions I could see a lot of spam like content happening, like for instance multiple members timing the same "Happy birthday" threads. But would be a good capability for forum admins to time announcements and other forum events.

I'm all for having this feature in the core (although frankly I'll be surprised if it ever is), there is a good (free) addon for this, which @021 will hopefully update, if necessary, for 2.2:

10 years ago this request was made, with 141 votes, about 90 answers. I wonder, what is the "XenForo suggestions" category for?

10 years ago this request was made, with 141 votes, about 90 answers. I wonder, what is the "XenForo suggestions" category for?
So 14,2 votes and 8,7 posts per year... Not really a success by looking more closely at it.

Personally I don't see too much point in such a feature.
XenForo is above all a forum, which has some options that sometimes can go a little beyond the scope of a simple forum but it remains a forum.
Being able to write articles and post them at pre-defined times seems to me more like a feature for a news site, or even a blog. I think a add-on is more appropriate rather than a native XF feature.

There's probably more to develop than this.
But that's just my opinion of course.

So 14,2 votes and 8,7 posts per year... Not really a success by looking more closely at it.

Personally I don't see too much point in such a feature.
XenForo is above all a forum, which has some options that sometimes can go a little beyond the scope of a simple forum but it remains a forum.
Being able to write articles and post them at pre-defined times seems to me more like a feature for a news site, or even a blog. I think a add-on is more appropriate rather than a native XF feature.

There's probably more to develop than this.
But that's just my opinion of course.
It would actually be a pretty useful feature for a lot of people, I would think, especially now that we have Articles. Above all, you want your forum to have the appearance of being busy and regularly updated with new content, and being able to schedule new content to be posted on days when you're traveling or working or busy doing other things, or just sleeping, would not be a useless thing.

Above all, you want your forum to have the appearance of being busy and regularly updated with new content
I'm not saying it's not useful, I'm just saying that it deserves a add-on for those who need it but regarding a native feature I think there are other goals to achieve. Besides the stats of this suggestion do not plead in his favor...

Regarding non-publishing articles because you are traveling or sleeping, your members have reached a level of requirement rarely achieved !!

I'm not saying it's not useful, I'm just saying that it deserves a add-on for those who need it but regarding a native feature I think there are other goals to achieve. Besides the stats of this suggestion do not plead in his favor...

Regarding non-publishing articles because you are traveling or sleeping, your members have reached a level of requirement rarely achieved !!

As I understand it right, addons cannot extend the XF (REST) API, and therefore it should be a native feature.
Creating scheduled content from external sources, injected by the API would be great.

You need another example?
Imagine you have a company selling goods and you're running the usual social media stuff (fb, ig, twitter, younameit) and a (support) forum on your website.
Now you have a new product, which is released on date X, and you can schedule the press release on every channel (website, facebook, instagram,...) via APIs, but not on your own forum. It's simply not possible to setup kinda "announcements" to a future date. If you want to have a thread/post on a specific date, you have to do it manually.

So yeah, to me it's a pretty important feature I'd like to see next :)

Imagine you have a company selling goods and you're running the usual social media stuff (fb, ig, twitter, younameit) and a (support) forum on your website.
ok I understand but how many xenforo licenses are sold for this type of company??

Seriously, a company that manages domestic or even international product outlets with press releases does not have the human means to publish a discussion on their own forum on the scheduled date and time? And would it even be a priority for them to publish it in their own forum?
Knowing that this can be planned with the add-on mentioned above.

Again I'm not saying it's not something useful but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for the majority of XF forum administrators.

But if this were to be implemented in a future version of XF then I would be happy for you :)

ok I understand but how many xenforo licenses are sold for this type of company??

Seriously, a company that manages domestic or even international product outlets with press releases does not have the human means to publish a discussion on their own forum on the scheduled date and time? And would it even be a priority for them to publish it in their own forum?
Knowing that this can be planned with the add-on mentioned above.

Again I'm not saying it's not something useful but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for the majority of XF forum administrators.

But if this were to be implemented in a future version of XF then I would be happy for you :)
I would disagree with you and suggest that this should definately be a core feature.

Imagine you could donate an evening of your time article writing, compose 4 or 5 articles and then schedule them to post in the coming days, without your interaction and at various times.

If xenForo is going down the 'article's route then scheduled posting is very useful for lots of people.

for lots of people.
This is not proven... There is only one to look at this thread which is really not a success in 10 years of existence!

Many of you say "it would be useful for a lot of people" but on what basis can you advance this? Maybe I'm wrong and this feature will soon be implemented, there are also on XF some of them that I find quite useless such as the status so why not ?

On the other hand I find that users should "fight" to have a real efficient search system that does not require installing a third-party service and paying extra. The essence of a forum is to find answers to its questions and frankly right now the search system is not effective at all.

Do you realize that similar threads feature requires a third-party service and an additional payment on XenForo?? That is not reasonable for me.

This is not proven... There is only one to look at this thread which is really not a success in 10 years of existence!

Many of you say "it would be useful for a lot of people" but on what basis can you advance this? Maybe I'm wrong and this feature will soon be implemented, there are also on XF some of them that I find quite useless such as the status so why not ?

On the other hand I find that users should "fight" to have a real efficient search system that does not require installing a third-party service and paying extra. The essence of a forum is to find answers to its questions and frankly right now the search system is not effective at all.

Do you realize that similar threads feature requires a third-party service and an additional payment on XenForo?? That is not reasonable for me.
The evidence is this is the fifth popular thread in the suggestions section?

There are plenty of people requesting such a feature, especially those who deal with articles.

We all have a personal agenda to try and get what we want in the core. I'm happy enough with similar threads being an addon, for example. The niche of my forum means people will usually create their own threads, not use existing ones.

That doesn't mean I dont see the benefit for others.

Does it seem, a contradiction, or a personal interest?
Oh not a personal interest, just a point of view. For me an effective and native search engine is essential on a forum. A scheduled thread system not really.
But never mind, it's just a discuss, we share each other our opinion.

This is useful not only for buisness but for all types of communities. For example gaming communities host tournaments which require to post weekly content regularly (like list of matches for every round of tournament or bets reults) and it would be easier for admins to have it planned ahead. It would be also easier for any other comunity to plan ahead articles or any forum contests.

Of course, there are already third-party addons. But the more of them you have installed, the more problematic it becomes after XF major update, especially if those addons stop being maintained.

Top Bottom