Lack of interest Schedule a callable to run after a transaction commit

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Xon

I've had a couple cases where I've needed to run some callable after a transaction commits which have been super-awkward to fit into XF's code structure as sometimes the hook point to "do stuff" after the transaction just isn't there but I can run my code inside the transaction.

For things like sending moderator alerts or similar, these often should go outside the transaction as they touch xf_user/xf_user_alert rows and can pull in locking for large tables, but need to be queued & triggered only if the the transaction finishes successfully.

Similar to \XF\Db\Mysqli\Adapter::runAfterCommit, with the signature being:
PHP:
public function runAfterCommit(callable $closure, ?string $uniqueKey = null): void

Implementation wise, this is just pushing a callable onto an array which is cleared on rollback & called on commit with something like:
PHP:
public function commit(): void
{
    $wasInTransaction = $this->inTransaction;

parent::commit();

if ($wasInTransaction && !$this->inTransaction) {
        $callables = $this->postTransactionCallables;
        $this->postTransactionCallables = [];
        foreach ($callables as $callable) {
            $callable();
        }
    }
}

The actual use-case was in some private add-on code was to increment some custom stats tables outside of the post/thread/forum transactions to avoid a dependency between that stats table and the standard post/thread/forum tables.

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.