[Scandal's] xF Glossary

[Scandal's] xF Glossary 1.0.0 Beta

No permission to download

Scandal

Scandal submitted a new resource:

[Scandal's] xF Glossary - A premium Glossary System with lots of tools and functions.

I'm pleased to announce my first published addon here on xF community! :)

Of course it is 100% free and without branding texts.

It is a premium Glossary System. See screenshots!

Features:

• Allow admin to submit as many glossary categories as he wants.
  • Each glossary can have a wide range of custom fields (text areas, checkboxes, radio buttons, selection menus, number boxes etc).
  • Fast (Ajax) and advanced search (custom fields) to the glossary terms are provided...

Read more about this resource...

This looks fantastic. With some small modifications, this could work well for me! Do you have a road map of desired features?

This looks fantastic. With some small modifications, this could work well for me! Do you have a road map of desired features?
Thanks for the good words!
Well, it is on the road the next release of this addon. The new features will be:
  • custom fields support for the integrated csv importer + no limit to 5000 terms per file
  • integration with the xF2 widgets system
  • if glossary categories are > 1, then on the fast search it will display the glossary title which the term belongs (since two different glossaries can have the same term title)
  • some validations for the form submit
  • minor style changes

I haven't looked into this in great detail yet, but a couple of ideas or questions..
  • Can glossary terms that are used in posts be hotlinked to their entry? My thoughts on use would be to link character names in video games..
  • Can you use images instead of icons for each glossary?
  • Can the "Part of speech" option be disabled?
  • Can BB Code be used in the Term Text?
  • Are there notable member stats for "Most glossary terms" and user criteria for "User has posted at least X glossary terms"?
Thank you.. :giggle:

I haven't looked into this in great detail yet, but a couple of ideas or questions..
  • Can glossary terms that are used in posts be hotlinked to their entry? My thoughts on use would be to link character names in video games..
  • Are there notable member stats for "Most glossary terms" and user criteria for "User has posted at least X glossary terms"?
Thanks for the suggestions!
1. No, currently glossary can have only font awesome icons, but will take into account your request.
2. Part of speech is an example. Admin can add any custom field that he wants. When you install the addon there is no default data. Glossaries and custom fields you can see have been added just for demo reasons.
3. Yes, bbcode can be used on term text. The system is using the bbcode text editor of xF for term text.

Wow, this comes pretty close to exactly what I want, but yet it's all wrong....

You see I have this forum:

And I need the front end of your addon to manage the existing threads in my forum, it's too bad it's so bespoke and not designed to work with existing threads.... So close.... Darn.

Looked just like Alphabetical Pagination too for a moment....

It would be awesome if words added to a glossary where highlighted in a users thread posts and hotlinked back to the glossary, if that was your suggestion I think it would be exceptionally useful.

I'm going to work on building my Glossaries in private (no access to users, link hidden from navigation bar) whilst the add-on is being developed. So far it's installed and running well, and I thank you for sharing your work without charge or branding.. I'm hopeful it could potentially fill in a content gap that a website would otherwise fill, and could potentially become a key part of my project.

Just a couple of small things to fix for next release:
  • Typo - "Sigle Line TextBox"
  • Members online - Viewing unknown page

Also, a couple more suggestions (pleas) having used the add-on a bit:
  • Attachment support
  • Show last modification date/time

Last edited:
You have added a quiz also?
Daily x words to learn?
Words in sections/levels to learn?
Random packets
Learn as long you have known all the word three times. (means a yes and no after showing the solution)

This looks very interesting. Anyone using this I can take a look (via pm is okay).

I just wanted to note that I thought this would fit perfectly, but I'm not sure if it's still in development. on 2.2.0 I'm getting the same error as Lee, above.

Could not process Scandals-xFGlossary-1.0.0 Beta.zip: File does not appear to be a valid add-on archive as expected
I just wanted to note that I thought this would fit perfectly, but I'm not sure if it's still in development. on 2.2.0 I'm getting the same error as Lee, above.
The error can usually be resolved by simply renaming the file.

The error can usually be resolved by simply renaming the file.
To clarify for anyone coming after, the issue is that the upload folder is two layers deep, so unzipping and rezipping the subfolder made it work for me.

I love this addon, and it's seeing some great use!
In addition to the typo mentioned above, a suggestion:
- Tweaking the font awesome icon on the list of words

Hello @Scandal I'm trying to customize the design of Term view page and I want to show fields data in separate blocks. For example, I've 4 fields in a Glossary and I want to display each field data in a separate block.

I've this code but it's showing all available fields in a single block:

Code:
        <div class="block-container">
            <h3 class="block-minorHeader">
                Field name / Title
            </h3>
            <ol class="block-body">
                <xf:set var="$term_fields" value="{$term.getFieldAnswers()}"/>
                <xf:if is="$term_fields is not empty">
                    <xf:foreach loop="$term_fields" key="$field_id" value="$field">
                        <li class="block-row">
                            <xf:if is="$field.Data is not empty">
                                <xf:macro name="term_field_read_info" arg-field="{$field}" />
                            </xf:if>
                        </li>
                    </xf:foreach>
                </xf:if>
            </ol>
        </div>

I hope there's a way to display only a specific field data in a block by placing the $field.field_id.7 and changing the "xf:foreach loop" to something else. An example code for this would be helpful :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom