savagerebirth.com

Robbo

This is the website I work on (and game) that takes up much of my time preventing full on add-on work. I have recently gotten the website to a point where it is done enough so I can focus on other things. Everything is custom coded by me. The site 'around' the forums is custom coded to use a similar system to what I use on mercenarydesign.com.au. Although the Mercenary Design website is more refined due to what I learned on SavageRebirth.com.

There is still a lot not done but I am fairly sure this is the most customized website done with XenForo including XenForo powering the Savage (a multiplayer fps/rpg/rts) API, Auth, stats and clans systems. An example to see some of the stats integrations (still wips) you can click a username to see the new overlay. The Savage clients and servers all communicate with XenForo through a custom API to do things like send end of match stats to the stats server which XenForo will handle on the lower level.

This is a custom website built by a developer (as in me) to be maintained by a developer so maintaining is done on the VCS and not through interfaces in the ACP etc. I am just saying this so people don't start asking for things that the website does, it is made to get deployed as soon as possible not to be easy for some admin to manage.

There is a lot more to come. Including a splash page which will also be powered by XenForo and even a section for clans to create their own pages. This shows what XenForo is capable of in the right hands and for the record the code is very easy to maintain for anyone who knows how XenForo works. This website was originally going to be built on SMF which is the platform I used to work on. To do it on SMF I was making my own mini frameowork to wrap SMF and it would be far harder to maintain and have much poorer results, luckily XenForo came to light soon after we had started.

I jelly re: the seamless integration of portal/fora. Looks friggen awesome.

Does Savage Rebirth have some type of representative image that could be used for custom node icons? Will you be sharing API info w/ fansites? Also, what will the clan section contain?

I jelly re: the seamless integration of portal/fora. Looks friggen awesome.

Does Savage Rebirth have some type of representative image that could be used for custom node icons? Will you be sharing API info w/ fansites? Also, what will the clan section contain?
That's what happens when a proper designer (one of the Savage: Rebirth artists) makes an awesome design and make you implement it right or annoy you until you do :p

What do you mean by the node icons? They are one of Shelly's images changed a bit. The designer will make proper ones at a later date.

The API is a RESTful API that is designed to work with the game and then double as a public API for fansites, so yes. But only GET requests will be public.

Clans section is still up in the air, it will most likely be a simple news, roster, invite, apply, and stats page.

Yeah I have noticed that but really couldn't be bothered fixing at the moment.

I don't really care whether you fix it or not that is certainly your privilege. what I was saying in that post with screenshot was When you say "proper" designers doing a (i'm assuming) proper job make sure they don't make a fundamental designer error by leaving matting or a residual background. That kind of "proper" should never be making it to any website.

I don't really care whether you fix it or not that is certainly your privilege. what I was saying in that post with screenshot was When you say "proper" designers doing a (i'm assuming) proper job make sure they don't make a fundamental designer error by leaving matting or a residual background. That kind of "proper" should never be making it to any website.
Im fairly sure he fixed it a while ago and I never updated the images properly.

Ah we made a last minute background change which caused that to happen. I would have ignored it, thanks for pointing it out.

Im fairly sure he fixed it a while ago and I never updated the images properly.[/quote

http://savagerebirth.com/styles/sr/site/btn_forums_h.jpg
http://savagerebirth.com/styles/sr/site/btn_home_h.jpg

<hint>.png</hint>

I'm busting your balls on this one Robbo because of the comment you made about a proper designer doing things correctly implying that stylers/designers here don't do things correctly. I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to every designer, heck, even those that are starting out they all have to learn at some time or another.

You want my opinion regarding your style? It looks like your designer went crazy with the photoshop filter for a one click fast effect (referring to the textures) which I am sure are pre-defined patterns (I could be mistaken) are the textures patterns or was the noise filter used to get this effect?. Personally, I would have went the brushing route to get a more desirable effect, keeping it subtle and toning down the pattern so it's not too prominent. The advantages of that is you have fully control when brushing and can tone each layer with it's unique opacity setting giving it depth and perspective whilst eliminating the random generated (one click easy filter generated solution).

Anyway. goodluck and I think I'm done with this thread.

Haha. Not need to use PNG there, it just had to be updated slightly.

The style is done in a certain way for a purpose, for a certain effect for a certain audience to reflect on the game and attract the right people.

You seem to get offended by things far to easily. I said it is what happens when you have a proper designer working on it, he mentioned how everything flows together nicely. I never said no one else was a proper designer or that every other site was crap. I have purchased designs from people here. But whatever, guessing cultural difference is the issue here with the way I talk.

Top Bottom