1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Gordon’s Departure From MyBB - Whats the real reason?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kaiser, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Source: http://blog.mybb.com/2010/12/05/ryan-gordons-departure-from-mybb/

He posted something different on his blog, I wonder whats the real reason why he left MyBB.

Source: http://ryangordon.net/2010/12/05/co...-look-into-the-story-behind-my-years-at-mybb/
  2. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Most likely he wants to start his own commercial forum software product, like thousands of other coders out there.
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Not that if you read my second quote, I dont know my guess is that MyBB might go paid with 2.0 but who knows.
  4. AnthonyCea

I highly doubt MyBB forum engine will ever go paid, so you better look for another reason.
    euantor likes this.
  5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I read about this the other day.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Read his blog for more information something is fishy.
  7. Aarmin

Aarmin Active Member

My favorite free forum software! Although needs work in the styling.

I guess we will not know the reason until 2.0 is released.. so far away.
  8. AnthonyCea

Don't fall for BS, Ryan has had his issues going way back at MyBB.

Chris is a great manager, I had some problems with Ryan when his name was Takiti over there, so don't read anything into this, it really is not that big of a deal.
  9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

He got a job working for IB / vB ?
  10. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Sounds like something is up.
  11. AnthonyCea

Yeah, a whole lot of nothing !!
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

How do you know? there could be alot of things you dont know about that is going on.
  13. Floris

Floris Guest

I won't ever use their software, so it doens't bother me. Things change... Kier for example left Jelsoft
    Mikey and Jethro like this.
  14. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

Same here.. I wouldn't touch myBB as well. Looks alrighty, but just not my type of forum.
  15. AnthonyCea

MyBB is a great open source script that is free, some giant forums are using it.

That is the new PirateBay forum.

I have been using it for years on www.indiasearch.org, it is fast and easy to use for those who do not want a paid script.
  16. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Im not using it either, but its the best free open source script ever, just as good as vb or better since its actually stable. Has alot of potential. They put alot of hard work into it and they released it for free.
  17. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I think he's going to vB. I also think the whole problem was not just about a difference of opinion, and there's more to it, maybe he had a vision for the direction of the forum software. This usually leads to creating a new forum software, like Darby did.
  18. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Who really knows, but from reading his blog they probably had a big disagreement, and my guess is that MyBB 2.0 my turn out to be paid.
  19. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

If they provide something no other service is doing....then go for it. If he wants to leave, hell. Do it.

MyBB is in a perfect position to be charging. So, DO IT.
  20. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

maybe.... that would mean, around, 16 developers in total !!??! i wonder how big it's going to get....