1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian Hackers Amass over a Billion Internet Passwords

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amaury, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Russian Hackers Amass over a Billion Internet Passwords
    • Source: New York Times
    • Published: August 5, 2014

2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

3. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

4. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Probably time for people to finally wake up and realise that there's no such thing as security on the internet.

No, your online banking pin number is not safe. No your stupidly long 128 character password will not protect you. And no, your RSA encrypted credit card is not secure.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

This would probably explain the sudden surge of spam e-mails I started getting a few weeks ago -- about five a day. Thankfully, I'm not gullible and just send them to my junk folder and delete them,

6. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

lolwut?

7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Probably the wrong wording.

I started getting more spam e-mails than usual a few weeks ago. (That should be better wording.)

8. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

I think he was referring to volume :)

5 a day would be wonderful. I get around 500 a day - used to be a lot higher.

9. MQK8

MQK8 Active Member

If somebody wants your site bad enough, there's nothing you can really do to stop them I don't believe. Just have to do all you can.

10. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Everybody who uses the same password(s) on all the websites they visit are waiting for their accounts to be hacked, doesn't matter how strong their password is. User 1Password or something similar to that. I don't know a single password, not here, not my own websites. All I do is right click and check the website name when I want to login. It fills the username/password automatically for me and even presses the "log-in" button. That simple.