XF 2.1 Running "php cmd.php xf:convert-utf8mb4" and "php cmd.php xf-rebuild:search" simultaneously

nocte

Is it a good idea to run these 2 CLI commands simultaneously in order to speed up an upgrade from XF1?

php cmd.php xf:convert-utf8mb4
php cmd.php xf-rebuild:search --truncate

Can the upgraded forum be (theoretically) re-opened for users while these commands still run?

not an expert but posting in case no one else notices this...

i would probably not run the utf command with forum running as it is essentially converting the table to support unicodes. i have personally run search index command with forum running even on my low end server (low traffic forum). if you have a powerful server, second should be fine (but search results would either would be blank or incomplete).

I think I'd echo @OperaManiac -- definitely don't do the table conversion with the forum open. At the minimum, that will completely lock each table it comes to. This command shouldn't take too long to complete overall.

Rebuilds shouldn't be an issue while the site is being accessed (beyond increased load as it will trigger a number of writes, but if this is a large site then you're probably using Elasticsearch anyway which changes the write load to be separate from MySQL).

Thank you for your answers!

This command shouldn't take too long to complete overall.
2 hours in a test environment. I first thought it was about 10 hours, but that was a mistake.
then you're probably using Elasticsearch
sure.

So, I think we will run the UTF8 command during the forum is still closed and do some cleanup, user group rights adjustment and so on in that time. After that we start the search index recreation and open the forum when we are done with all other tasks.

Adding content (new posts, media, ..) while the search index recreation is still running cannot be a problem, right?

Top Bottom