Run over us at night and try to say you couldn't see us!

TPerry

I dare ya'!

(it's about 2 minutes and a walk around of the trikes at night)
If flashing lights bother you - don't watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The typical excuse for "not seeing" a well-lit bicycle is, "you should have been wearing a hi-viz jacket". :rolleyes: (which of course isn't a requirement, just as having cars painted in hi-viz colours isn't). Nothing to do with them paying more attention to their mobile phone than the road then!

The typical excuse for "not seeing" a well-lit bicycle is, "you should have been wearing a hi-viz jacket". :rolleyes:
Riding a recumbent, the jackets aren't really that visible - except may from the front. Your'e basically laying down in a reclining chair on them. :sleep:

Riding a recumbent, the jackets aren't really that visible - except may from the front. Your'e basically laying down in a reclining chair on them. :sleep:
I know, I've seen one (my fiancee has ridden in one) and ridden with cyclists in them around London. It's just one of the excuses that unobservant drivers make, sometimes accompanied with, "you shouldn't be on the road, you don't pay road tax" (even though nobody in the UK does, it was abolished in 1947, we pay vehicle excise duty which is basically a tax on emissions and the tax just goes into government coffers and isn't directly for the roads).

Yeah, I don't know what else I can do - distracted drivers won't have their attention drawn by lights.. but at least it makes the survivors law suit easier to win!
One of those trikes has about $500 in lighting on it.. the other is about $300 (it will be in the $500 range once I get a DS500 for it).

I dare ya'!

(it's about 2 minutes and a walk around of the trikes at night)
If flashing lights bother you - don't watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Good idea, but wondering if the flashing red lights in back may cause a problem with it looking like an emergency vehicle?

Good idea, but wondering if the flashing red lights in back may cause a problem with it looking like an emergency vehicle?
In Texas, it's OK for flashing red to the rear (even on cars) - just not to the front.
As for looking like an emergency vehicle.. all the better. People are typically on their best behavior if they think the PoPo are around. :D
The purpose is to differentiate from cars.

That bike is lit up like a christmass tree. You can not miss it even if you tried. The only reason for missing it, that I can think of, is if the driver was drunk or high, which will dullen his senses, or if they were being distracted while driving. Both are very dangerous.

No amount of lights can fix someone else's lack of attention to driving. When I visited Delhi last year the roads were lawless, absolute chaos, but the drivers devote full attention -- 100% -- to driving.

Given that many of the cars there don't have airbags, really are no "lanes" and traffic law enforcement is lax or absent in many parts of the city, it seems astonishing that the fatality rate is so low, but not really, drivers just pay full attention.

If we drove like them in the states but retained the attention deficit, we'd quickly go extinct.

Last edited:
Actually, between all of the lights (even in the day time) and the fact that they are trikes and are not seen often, people give us wider berths than they did when we rode the DF's.

True. (y) The novelty of seeing a bent makes most drivers err on the side of caution and give a wider birth. I take it you're hooked now then? :D

True. (y) The novelty of seeing a bent makes most drivers err on the side of caution and give a wider birth. I take it you're hooked now then? :D
I've always enjoyed bike riding... it's just that we got out of it due to time constraints when we had kids and then as they got older we never really got back into it because the boy liked the BMX riding and not really mountain/road bike riding. It's really nice with the back/knee issues that I have and with the wife's MS in that it allows us to - fairly safely - get back into the biking scene.
We had a really nice day of weather recently before the cold front moved in. Went to take a spin on the trike and had no more than rounded the corner and heard a grinding then a pop. The dang KMC missing link was trying to go missing and had busted. Didn't have any replacements so I just had to sit around and grumble about missing out. Now I've got 15 of them in the tool box - as well as a Park tool for them.

I've always enjoyed bike riding... it's just that we got out of it due to time constraints when we had kids and then as they got older we never really got back into it because the boy liked the BMX riding and not really mountain/road bike riding. It's really nice with the back/knee issues that I have and with the wife's MS in that it allows us to - fairly safely - get back into the biking scene.
We had a really nice day of weather recently before the cold front moved in. Went to take a spin on the trike and had no more than rounded the corner and heard a grinding then a pop. The dang KMC missing link was trying to go missing and had busted. Didn't have any replacements so I just had to sit around and grumble about missing out. Now I've got 15 of them in the tool box - as well as a Park tool for them.
Best laid plans of mice and men...

Top Bottom