• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

RSS - Is it used as widely as people think?

MGSteve

Just a thought, I've never bothered with it. When I have, the RSS Gadget for windows 7 didn't bother to update the feed anyway, so I gave up.

But thinking about it (and seeing how much its embedded within XF), does anyone actually use RSS feeds & if you do, how do you use them (i.e. what for & what software).

Dean

I use RSS feeds for my forum and it's invaluable.
That is quite useful going into a forum. What I keep asking myself is - would it be of value going from a forum to somewhere else?

Not sure many of my members know what an rss feed is..

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Well outside my forum I don't use RSS at all.

But on the forum it's great for starting new threads.
I can't count the number of times a headline in the RSS feed has resulted in a new discussion.

Dean

When you go live, will you have your rss feeds available to your members? Do you think any of them will use those rss feeds?

Dean

The other way round.

Will your members, use your forums rss feeds? From cta to somewhere else...

Sorry I am unclear.

kkm323

I use google reader and its quite useful
it keeps me update to all of the news, events, videos
before I used rss in my firefox ,but i migrated to google reader (everything in one place)

Carlos

Actually, its not well 'known' per se, but they're useful for converting readers into repeat readers. Especially if you have a network of websites. :)

dieketzer

Just a thought, I've never bothered with it. When I have, the RSS Gadget for windows 7 didn't bother to update the feed anyway, so I gave up.

But thinking about it (and seeing how much its embedded within XF), does anyone actually use RSS feeds & if you do, how do you use them (i.e. what for & what software).
while i have never had a use for rss as a regular user, i do find them invaluble as an admin.
i can import remote rss as threads in a news category to increase content and relevance, and i can use my own rss to feed social networks.
the only thing i dont like about rss is the 'content theft' aspect.