RSS feeds implementation

vtisix

Would anyone be kind enough to point me toward instructions on how to implement forum RSS feeds?

Also, since our community is a private community, would it be possible for someone to get his hands on a feed and start seeing topics behind the community wall? Any way to prevent this?

Thanks,

VT

I meant the RSS feeds generated by the forum content. Maybe I'm missing a step somewhere because when I pull a feed into Google Reader, I get this message: Oops...an error occurred. Please try again in a few seconds.

Is there something that must be set up before the feeds work?

Hmmm...my site is private at the moment. I'll have a chat with my dev guy later today and see what he thinks is wrong. Maybe he just needs to flip a switch somewhere. I'll get back to you on this. Thanks.

It turns out that because the site is behind a password wall, the feeds are password protected and most RSS readers don't handle this.

Any way to complete remove the RSS icon from the forum nodes?

You can remove the rss icon using a template edit but that won't stop anyone manually browsing to the feed URL or still trying to access it in a reader.

What's the template where I can edit out the RSS icon?

As the forum is behind a password wall, I'm not too worried about the feeds being visible to people who shouldn't be reading them.

Yes, as Forsaken said, just edit that template to comment out or remove:
Code:
<div class="nodeControls">
    <a href="{xen:link forums/index.rss, $forum}" class="tinyIcon feedIcon" title="{xen:phrase rss}">{xen:phrase rss}</a>
</div>

Top Bottom