XF 2.1 Robots, noindex question

JoyFreak

Looking for a quick confirmation, if I add this to a template:
<xf:head option="robots"><meta name="robots" content="noindex" /></xf:head>

Does it stop robots from indexing that page?

Thanks

Yes.

Using the robots meta tag
The robots meta tag lets you utilize a granular, page-specific approach to controlling how an individual page should be indexed and served to users in Google Search results. Place the robots meta tag in the <head> section of a given page, like this:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html><head>
<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />
(…)
</head>
<body>(…)</body>
</html>
The robots meta tag in the above example instructs search engines not to show the page in search results. The value of the name attribute (robots) specifies that the directive applies to all crawlers. To address a specific crawler, replace the robots value of the name attribute with the name of the crawler that you are addressing. Specific crawlers are also known as user-agents (a crawler uses its user-agent to request a page.) Google's standard web crawler has the user-agent name Googlebot. To prevent only Googlebot from crawling your page, update the tag as follows:

<meta name="googlebot" content="noindex" />

Just for curiosity, if you permit my question:

Whats the benefice in blocking the search crawlers/trackers? Is not good for SEO, right?
Best of my knowledge,
All website have a search engine budget to crawl your site. Some pages are just not too important, so I block them, allowing room for search engines to find compelling content instead.

Top Bottom