Riddle me this...

I think one thing people are forgetting is this....a rc helo uses air around it to gain flight...by pulling air and pushing it out below the blades it creates lift....the air flowing downward pushes it up...if the air is moving in a closed truck at the same speed as the truck itself and the helo uses the air inside the sealed area to achieve lift...I would think it keeps moving with it...

OK i need to try this today...I really do...time to find a friend with a box truck

OK i need to try this today...I really do...time to find a friend with a box truck

I would have suggested trying to test this with a car and a common house fly.. Just no way to keep those buggers hovering still for long enough though. A cheap ebay heli and a car might be fun to try :D

I would have suggested trying to test this with a car and a common house fly.. Just no way to keep those buggers hovering still for long enough though. A cheap ebay heli and a car might be fun to try :D

Lol if you want to get a handle on flies your going to hafta call the late great Pat Morita, and get your chopsticks :)
I have a chopper (it's seen better days and probably a better helo pilot i hate to admit that..but I like planes and jets) and a turbine powered craft (something like that but it's not very useful in an enclosed vehicle unless you like the smell of burned hair) ...I just need the truck...

The problem with something with the average cubic footage of a car is this....there is simply not enough air to manipulate....because of the lack of air volume , the aircraft will get drawn away from it's center even if you navigate perfectly...you need the air volume and the clearance from the structures walls to not effect the constants in your experiment.

Imagine colorizing the air effected by the blades....if you move that colorized stream to close to a solid object it changes the airstream which will change the flight path/ x,y,z coordinates of the helo making the experiment impossible without a larger vehicle...a passenger vehicle works great for an analogue in theory but in reality it can not be used as it needs more air space.

Now if this is a lorry...the experiment could be run in one...
istockphoto_4691819-vector-lorry.jpg

The problem with something with the average cubic footage of a car is this....there is simply not enough air to manipulate....because of the lack of air volume , the aircraft will get drawn away from it's center even if you navigate perfectly...you need the air volume and the clearance from the structures walls to not effect the constants in your experiment.

A cheap ebay infer red helicopter and even a prius would have done the trick, But seing that you have a bigger chopper it would defiantly mean that you need a truck/lorry/road-train depending on the size of your chopper.

the thing is though...you would have to be a beast pilot to keep any helo any size from hitting something in a car...I swear if someone can record themselves doing that in a prius I will buy them a copy of xf.:D I'm so dead serious...that I would pay to see ...I have tried hovering in a garage with mine and that turned out to be a disaster....

I assume that infer red chopper is a tiny guy which would make it easier to control (and weigh less ,needing less power for lift which would make it move less air) in confines but still you would need a helluva hand to master flight in a closed passenger car. I really like the idea of a box truck as it is a big rectangle with no obstructions inside (seats, belts, mirror.. etc) and I believe anyways that you would get a more accurate result....not to say that seeing someone drive down the highway with a helo flying around the passenger cabin wouldn't be funny as hell...because it would be :-)

this is a lorry

View attachment 16593
To respond to your answer, by that logic, as the lorry moves forwards it would create a vacume as the air in the lorry would be "staying still" while the lorry moves forwards :)
First off, thanks for the picture.. so it's a tractor trailer..

okay.. so say your in the trailer and it's empty and not moving..
You have your toy sitting on the bed of the trailer.
toy%20helicopter.jpg

You then stay flying it, and your hovering (still with the trailer not moving)
You start to move the truck forward, the helicopter will remain stationary and will look like it's moving towards the back and out of the trailer and the truck moves forward.

btw, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is.. it's not a riddle (at least not to me)

Which is why I said car and not motorbike...
not all cars have windshields :p

Wiesmann-Spyder-Concept.jpg

Top Bottom