1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring Deleted/Lost Conversations

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by gold94corolla, Jun 19, 2013.

1. gold94corolla

gold94corolla Member

So I accidentally deleted one of my moderators today. I was able to find information here to restore the member and get everything back to normal, except I do not know how to restore his private messages/conversations. I read on other threads that it is possible, but I do not have the expertise to figure it out on my own. I'd REALLY appreciate the help so I can sleep better lol.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

Christopher

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

From the user datawriter, this is the only action that is taken against conversations when deleting a user:

Code:
    		$db->delete('xf_conversation_user', "owner_user_id = $userIdQuoted");
    		// note: leaving records in conversation recipient to keep data somewhat intact for others

So you just need to recreate the records in xf_conversation_user. Ideally these records can be pulled from a backup.

3. gold94corolla

gold94corolla Member

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I'm quite the noob at this (if that wasn't obvious lol) as I just recently became an admin on this old forum. I am not aware of any backup process, and I do not understand all of this code stuff I am seeing. I do not know how to run codes... all I know are the templates.

The only reason I was able to get the member restored was because I installed an addon resource from here that did it all for me (though I had to manually put in the account details). It reconnected all of the posts and likes etc, so I'm surprised that it didn't do the conversations as well.

I know that the conversations are still there somewhere, as I still have a record of mine with the user, and I imagine all the other conversations are similarly recorded with other users.