• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[Request] Log In as User

Chimpie

I'd like to see the Log In as User mod here on XF.

Sometimes users post problems that, as mods, we don't see. Sometimes it's a permissions thing. Logging in as them allows us to see what they're seeing.

Holy cripes, that is awesome!!

That's what I love about this software. Many things have been thought about, and in many cases, implemented.

Kier/Mike - You are to be commended for this incredible script.

I'd like to see the Log In as User mod here on XF.

Sometimes users post problems that, as mods, we don't see. Sometimes it's a permissions thing. Logging in as them allows us to see what they're seeing.
There was a debate about this a while back, and most people were against it being added.

Does this do what you want? I believe it should. :)

AdminCP -> users tab -> Test Permissions (on left hand side)
When I use that point, administrator is still same permissions? Do I have to do special somethings?

When I use that point, administrator is still same permissions? Do I have to do special somethings?
I've actually not tested that feature yet (busy), but it appears if you type in a users name (other than your own) it should allow you to use the forums with the same permissions as that user you entered.

Obviously you need to have another user account besides admn to test that.

Nope, it loads the board under the user's permissions. The only difference is that the moderator/adminitrator bar is still there but with an option that will revert your status back to admin easily.

It's quite nifty. :)

For those who object to having this feature I'm bewildered.
If a user has a problem I can investigate MUCH faster by logging in as them direct from the adminCp -
to logout as admin/ login as user/check what the problem is / logout/ login as admin maybe contact them to get more info OR try a fix/ sometimes logout as admin and login as user again to check - CLUNKY.

Glad it's there anyway.

Just to be clear - the test permissions feature of the xf admin cp is not log in as user. My understanding is that it will only test permissions, not actually log into someones account.

Big difference. I really do not anticipate any privacy concerns using the test permissions feature.

Does this do what you want? I believe it should. :)

AdminCP -> users tab -> Test Permissions (on left hand side)

Very interesting. I'll have to play with this one some more once I develop the forum and its permissions more.

Thanks!

NO! dont play with trust of your users.

For userproblems use an testaccount.
While we're on it, remove the option to change a users password as well. And encrypt private messages. Etc.

There will always be the possibilities to do bad stuff, that doesn't make the tool itself bad. I've had users who couldn't log in, had permission problems, etc. which I couldn't find all that easily in vBulletin because of all the permissions being spread across the admin CP. Using the login to account feature makes it way easier to troubleshoot, and see what's actually going on.

Anyway, XenForo's solution is totally fine too and I like that it's already in there by default.

Top Bottom