Replacing /public_html/styles/default/xenforo/logo.og.png on upgrade

Wayne Hunt

Good morning,

If I might make a request, PLEASE stop replacing /public_html/styles/default/xenforo/logo.og.png with every upgrade unless you absolutely have to.

With the 1.02 and 1.03 packages, I had to remember to go in and replace that file with the custom one for my site. I remembered only AFTER someone "liked" a thread and Facebook cached the defacto Xenforo image for two weeks and showed them for threads on my site.

I really like Xenforo, and I'm all for promoting it, but just not that way.

Thanks,

Wayne Hunt
whyzzat.com

I notice a lot of sites run into this minor issue. Thankfully everybody makes backups. So that solves losing that unique file. Thanks Brogan for this explanation on how to replace the path. Very helpful.

Oops, sorry, that's the header logo.
For the Facebook logo it's this.

How do I replace the Xenforo Facebook recommend/like logo with my own?
Upload your logo to the server and change the image path in the ACP -> Styles -> Style Properties -> Header and Navigation -> Settings: Facebook Open Graph Logo. Due to caching it can take several weeks for the image to update on the Facebook servers.

Thank you sir. Just another deeply hidden option that I'd never seen. Hopefully that'll fix it. Guess the Flexile style comes by default to use the original logo.og.png file.

Didn't know that, now I do.

It's not that deeply hidden really, it's in Style Properties.

I would highly recommend that everyone looks through all the various Style Properties at least once, just to make themselves aware of what options there are.

That applies to new installations and upgrades also, for any changes which are made between releases.

I would highly recommend that everyone looks through all the various Style Properties at least once, just to make themselves aware of what options there are.

That applies to new installations and upgrades also, for any changes which are made between releases.

It's not hidden, but it's one of the first few things users do. It's not bad practice for the developers to consider putting the style property inside the admin.php > options > board information. It's the page people tend to stare when they are considering changing the logos, colors .. even if it is a mention 'you can start customizing your board through the styles' properties'.. linking to a manual or the section.

=D just feedback

The problem is though, if it's in Options -> Board Information then it can't be changed per style.

Don't get all twisted. :)

It's really sort of a compliment that there are -- seemingly -- 2 bajillion options inside a product so new. I had looked through what I thought were all the options before, but frankly once the site is set up and running, that's an awful lot for a poor schlub to remember. Which option is on which page, under which sub, sub, sub section and such.

Still a huge fan of Xenforo. Just sayin' that running a site isn't my full-time job. :)

Wayne

The problem is though, if it's in Options -> Board Information then it can't be changed per style.
I understand, hence my suggestion to at least offer a link to the user so they can learn how to do it. Now they have to a) find out it's a per style setting, b) find out it's a style property value, c) find the right tab under basic, or header, and d) upload the logo's per style to the board.

While it's just basic board information.

The reasons for that have already been discussed at length and explained.

It's to allow upgrades from any build to any build, without requiring specific upgrade builds for every possible combination.

The potential for owners to upload the wrong package would be too great, resulting in a lot of broken forums.

Top Bottom