Lack of interest Replace action links by icons

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Alpha1

XenForo has many action links.
watch forum
mark forum read
watch thread
edit
ip
delete
mark as unread
star conversation
leave conversation
etc.

These are all text while icons take up less space and look better. The watch forum link could be replaced by the same icon that is already used to indicate watching.
Off course such should be an optional setting, so that admins can opt to use links if they want.

It would be nice to see fontawesome or similar used for this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Personally, I prefer the text. An icon can be easily misunderstood and not all icons fit with every theme so it will prove to be more images that I need to create or have someone create for every site.

Text is styled with the style and its context is not easily misunderstood.

Personally, I prefer the text. An icon can be easily misunderstood and not all icons fit with every theme so it will prove to be more images that I need to create or have someone create for every site.

Text is styled with the style and its context is not easily misunderstood.
+1

I have amended my suggestion to make this a setting so that those admins who want to display links can do so.

Regarding the meanings of icons: An icon can still have an alt text which describes the function of an icon. Plus the aforementioned action links are so common that it is not difficult to find commonly understood icons that people are used to see everywhere. It's the same as in the editor.

I think that as xenforo matures there will be more and more action links (multi-quote, ignore or tags for example) and having full text links will clutter up XenForo while its intended to be a clean and clutter-free application.

Top Bottom