Removing Uninstalled Add-On's Completely

Alfuzzy

I uninstalled a couple add-on's recently (wanted to completely remove them from the site). But after uninstalling them...in the AdminCP Add-On area...the uninstalled add-on moves to the top of the add-on list...and now is listed under the heading "Installable add-on's" (screenshot below).

I would rather not have this...how to I get rid this "Installable Add-On's" section/list?

In case it helps...running XF 2.1.12.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 11.20.41 AM.png

Thanks. I guess uninstalling an add-on isn't quite as easy as selecting "Uninstall" in the AdminCP. Lol

This was mentioned in the link:

"Some add-ons have shared libraries, and some add-ons have other files such as static files and JavaScript stored in different locations so worth asking for specific guidance from the author."

When I go to the directory on my server src > addons ...all of the directories there have the name of the add-on developer. If the add-on I'm concerned about is the only add-on from this developer...in your experience...can I simply delete that directory...and I should be good to go?

Thanks

If it is the only one and no other add-ons depend on shared files (which they shouldn't) then yes, the files can be deleted.

However, if in doubt, check with the author.

Worth noting that if you were using an up to date version of XenForo (2.2.7 or above) then you would be able to click "Delete files" in the add-on list to remove the add-on files entirely.
Thanks Chris.

That's exactly what I'm working on at the moment. Checking & updating all add-on's for XF 2.2 compatibility...before doing the official XF 2.2 upgrade.:)

Worth noting that if you were using an up to date version of XenForo (2.2.7 or above) then you would be able to click "Delete files" in the add-on list to remove the add-on files entirely.
I must be blind, where is this? Looking at the addon list and can't seem to find it. Am using the latest version of XF.

For it to be displayed, the server must be able to write to the src/addons/ directory, and the given add-on must have hashes available and must not have any development files (ie. a non-empty _output/ directory).

For it to be displayed, the server must be able to write to the src/addons/ directory, and the given add-on must have hashes available and must not have any development files (ie. a non-empty _output/ directory).
I'm planning to remove some of this cruft from our server "soon".
However, the whole process looks a wee bit ambiguous/dangerous.

In a test clone, I tweaked the file ownership of the src/addons tree so that the server could write. This instantly made the "Delete files" button appear for our uninstalled addons.
However...
The hashes.json lists all files that belong to the addon - including the ones that are in other trees like js. The reply above makes me suspect that the removal is based on the hashes (as a manifest, essentially).

This raises two questions/concerns:
Firstly, my server won't at present be able to remove the files in the other trees (I didn't yet change those permissions/ownership). Will XF refuse to remove anything when I hit "Delete files", or will it just delete what it can from the addons tree and leave other stuff behind?
Secondly, I realise that the files in the other trees may not be the only ones which are potentially needed by other addons - the ones in the main addons tree could also be required. This line of thinking makes me wonder: can you successfully hit the uninstall button at all, if an addon is listed as a prerequisite for other installed addons?

The removal does indeed use the hashes as a manifest. XF will refuse to remove anything if any of the files are not writable (or conflict with the manifest of another add-on). I don't think we currently do any dependency tracking to prevent uninstalling add-ons which other add-ons rely on, though I believe there is an open bug report about it.

Top Bottom