1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Gender?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Fallacy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Fallacy

Fallacy New Member

This is probably a slightly odd question, but how easy would it be to remove gender as an option to fill out? I'm assuming this would require some tweaking with the avatars.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can remove it from the templates:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> register_form

Remove this code:

Code:
    	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
    		<dt>{xen:phrase gender}:</dt>
    		<dd>
    			<ul>
    				<li><label for="ctrl_gender_male"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="male" id="ctrl_gender_male" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'male'"} /> {xen:phrase male}</label></li>
    				<li><label for="ctrl_gender_female"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="female" id="ctrl_gender_female" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'female'"} /> {xen:phrase female}</label></li>
    				<li><label for="ctrl_gender_"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="" id="ctrl_gender_" {xen:checked "!{$fields.gender}"} /> ({xen:phrase unspecified})</label></li>
    			</ul>
    		</dd>
    	</dl>

A similar edit must be made to account_personal_details.

Removing this field will result in everyone having an "unspecified" gender.

Breixo and Fallacy like this.
  3. Fallacy

Fallacy New Member

Wow, thanks. Now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to afford a license.

4. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was needing this as well.

5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

This thread was much more interesting when I only read the title. :)

6. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have this as an option in the admin control panel. Would be a simple feature to include.

AndyB likes this.
  7. JChandler

JChandler Member

On a slightly odder note, is it possible to ADD selections to the gender possibilities? I'm working on a project that validates the existence of genders outside of the accepted male/female dichotomy.

If it is possible, how's it done? I'd rather have more selections rather than just "unspecified."

8. James

James Well-Known Member

You'd have to edit/extend XenForo_DataWriter_User::_getFields() on lines 57 and 58 to allow more values:
    PHP:
    'gender'
    => array('type' => self::TYPE_STRING'default' => '''allowedValues' => array('male''female''''hermaphrodite''etc')),
    Then you'd have to edit the gender template to add the extra values.

stefan and JChandler like this.
  9. JChandler

JChandler Member

Will this cause issues with default avatars for male and female? What will Xenforo do when it looks for something other than male/female?

10. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Use the default avatar
    [​IMG]

11. stefan

stefan Member

I tried to add more gender options (edited user.php in line 58 as well as the template), but when I try to put something other then "male"/"female"/"" into the field, i get the following message:

Any ideas?^^

12. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Yes

Check the db;)
    Code:
    gender ENUM('','male','female') NOT NULL DEFAULT '' COMMENT 'Leave empty for ''unspecified''',
    you'll need to change this in your db too (you'll find this in the table xf_user )

stefan likes this.
  13. Jake Bunce

I replied to JC's private message, but I am posting it here too:

That requires some doing. See this post:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/can-i-add-a-gender-option-i-e-couple.7276/#post-102746

You might consider just creating a profile field for this:

Admin CP -> Users -> Custom User Fields

14. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

How about removing only the unspecified button, and defaults the selection to male?

15. Jake Bunce

@RoldanLT

Code:
    	<dl class="ctrlUnit">
    		<dd>
    			<ul>
    				<li><label for="ctrl_gender_male"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="male" id="ctrl_gender_male" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'male' OR !{$fields.gender}"} /> {xen:phrase male}</label></li>
    				<li><label for="ctrl_gender_female"><input type="radio" name="gender" value="female" id="ctrl_gender_female" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'female'"} /> {xen:phrase female}</label></li>
    			</ul>
    		</dd>
    	</dl>

RoldanLT and vinhtq like this.
  16. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Digital Doctor likes this.
  17. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

XF 1.4 has different template:
    Code:
    <dl class="ctrlUnit">
            <dd>
                <ul>
                    <li><label><input type="radio" name="{$fieldMap.gender}" value="male" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'male'"} /> {xen:phrase male}</label></li>
                    <li><label><input type="radio" name="{$fieldMap.gender}" value="female" {xen:checked "{$fields.gender} == 'female'"} /> {xen:phrase female}</label></li>
                    <li><label><input type="radio" name="{$fieldMap.gender}" value="" {xen:checked "!{$fields.gender}"} /> ({xen:phrase unspecified})</label></li>
                </ul>
            </dd>
        </dl>

18. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Ideally, adding the issue of Gender should be an option, not a requirement. Especially on most forums, there are more guys pretending they are girls than actual girls.

WoodiE and MQK8 like this.