Remove Members List [Deleted]

Adam Howard

Adam Howard submitted a new resource:

Remove Members List (version 1.0) - Improve load speed and resources by removing the members list

Members could just as easily search for members, follow other members to their profile (if that member allowed it), send personal messages to members, and leave profile comments without a members list.

Further the members list was heavy on resources and primarily abused by spammers as a spam list. Removing the members list saved on server resources by saving database queries, page loads, and has prevented abuse through spam. The above also reduced to page speed load for members using our...

Read more about this resource...

I followed your steps and the members list is still available when you type mysite.com/members

I followed your steps and the members list is still available when you type mysite.com/members
I can not confirm this issue.

Re-apply the steps again. Are you by chance using a custom skin? I've tested this on a few dozen without issue.

When you type mysite.com/members you should be greeted with the message that the feature is off (or whatever other message you made).

Na i fixed it :) It was only users that were logged in were able to view the members list :) I used one of your other tutorials and was able to edit code based on ur other tut and disabled it for everyone :)

If you happen to have Soft Responsive style the code that you need to comment out in the navigation template is

Basically them same thing, but his version is a little different.
PHP:
        <!-- members -->
        <xen:if is="{$tabs.members}">
            <li class="navTab members {xen:if $tabs.members.selected, '{$selectedNavClassesPopup}', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}">

<a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="navLink{$navigationLinkExtraClass}"{xen:raw $navigationLinkRel}><strong>{$tabs.members.title}</strong></a>
                <xen:if is="!@navigationAutoOpen">
                    <a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
                </xen:if>

<div class="{xen:if '{$tabs.members.selected} && !@showOneNavRow', 'tabLinks', 'Menu JsOnly tabMenu'}">
                    <div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
                        <h3>{$tabs.members.title}</h3>
                        <div class="muted">{xen:phrase quick_links}</div>
                    </div>
                    <xen:set var="$navigationLinksTemplate">

<ul class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
                    <xen:hook name="navigation_tabs_members">
                        <li><a href="{xen:link members}">{xen:phrase registered_members}</a></li>
                        <li><a href="{xen:link online}">{xen:phrase current_visitors}</a></li>
                        <xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}">{xen:phrase recent_activity}</a></li></xen:if>
                    </xen:hook>
                    </ul>

</xen:set>
                    {xen:raw $navigationLinksTemplate}
                    <xen:if is="{$tabs.members.selected}">
                        <xen:set var="$navigationSelectedLinksTemplate">{xen:raw $navigationLinksTemplate}</xen:set>
                        <xen:set var="$navigationSelectedLinksTitle">{$tabs.members.title}</xen:set>
                </div>
            </li>

Question:

I'm using X style developed by Y person. I can't find the code for the member tabs in the navigation template. Can you point it out for me?

Answer:

While the majority seems to use the default code....

There are a few styles where the navigation changes. So you're really going to need to contact the developer. However, a good clue is it will typically start with
PHP:
<!-- members -->

How it ends seems to vary depending on the style.

Adam,

If we've already applied the previous edits for 1.1.3 and its working fine (or seems to be at least), do we need to adjust any of the code for the 1.1.4 update you just posted?

Adam,

If we've already applied the previous edits for 1.1.3 and its working fine (or seems to be at least), do we need to adjust any of the code for the 1.1.4 update you just posted?
If it is working for you, then you dont need to do anything. I use tms and it wouldn't apply because it couldnt find the code... Needed it to be exact. So whichever works.

Adam Howard updated Remove Members List with a new update entry:

Optional Step 2 - B

For those of you who want less template edits, you can follow Step 2 - B which allows you to re-direct /members/ back to your forum home page.

You can of course use one over the other or both. The choice is yours.

Step 2 - B

If you prefer not having more template edits and would rather allow Apache to re-direct /members/ back to your forum's home page. You can simple add this to your htaccess

PHP:
    RedirectMatch 301...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Step 2 - B I assume also saves you database queries. As before, your "members page" was still technically called up (just to display that notice telling bots & smarter members that the features was disabled).

So adding this I actually do notice the site seems a little faster.

The easiest way is probably to use XenUtiles.
To my knowledge, [8wayRun.Com] XenUtiles (Tools) does not have an option to remove the members list.

Assuming if it did, it would still add to your resources.... Because you would be using an add-on to enforce this.

This (my) modification lessons (makes fewer) your resources needs. Making your site faster. And also has zero conflicts with any add-ons

edit: Looking into the add-on you named... There is no such option.

It seems that removing the members list is not implemented yet in XenUtiles. It is planned for an upcoming release of XenUtiles.
What I did was take the concept I'm using in an upcoming release of XenUtiles where I add the option to remove the members list and expand on it
I took that from the description of XenHebra.

It seems that removing the members list is not implemented yet in XenUtiles. It is planned for an upcoming release of XenUtiles.

I took that from the description of XenHebra.
Which would still add to your resources. As you would still be adding an add-on and calling up the database to achieve the desired result.

But I guess its a personal preference. I'll continue mine. :)

Is there a TMS addon for this yet?
Not at this time. I've not made a TMS add-on in a while. I've neglected to do as for now, as XenForo claims that 1.2 will have their own TMS (soon).

You can of course use the current TMS to write these templates.

Adam - do you nave a method for removing Registered Members from the Quick Navigation menu?
Well what do you know??! ..... I missed a spot.

I never use it so I didn't think of it.

YES, a solution and an update to which I'll give you credit for pointing it out :)

Template: quick_navigation_menu

Look for

PHP:

And comment it out, so that when done it will look like this

PHP:
						<xen:comment><li><a href="{xen:link members}">{xen:phrase registered_members}</a></li></xen:comment>

Thank you for pointing that out :)

Adam Howard updated Remove Members List with a new update entry:

Let's remove members list link in your Quick Navigation Menu (the forgotten step)

I never use The Quick Navigation Menu and so I never even thought to look for this there. Credit goes to Rambro for pointing this out.

I added this to step 1.

Let's remove members list link in your Quick Navigation Menu ;)

In template: quick_navigation_menu

Look for

PHP:

And comment it out by wrapping it with...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom