Lack of interest Remove code tag overlay and use drop down instead

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Despair

It would be nice if clicking the code bbcode button while text is selected to just copy it into the overlay textarea.

Might just be me, but I tend to have the habit of typing out/pasting code into the editor, selecting it, then clicking the code button. At that point I realise it doesn't copy the code into the textarea for me and have to close the overlay, recopy my text and paste it in...

EDIT:
Changing suggestion to removing code tag overlay in exchange for simple drop down menu similar to font family, alignment, drafts, etc.

Advantages:
  1. More easily supports the wrapping of tags around text selection
  2. No need to make a request to the server when clicking the buttons
  3. Reduce a bit of code? (one less template, probably less JS code required)
  4. Code is saved by drafts (vs. code overlay is open and browser crashes, the code would not be saved?)
Any downsides?

Last edited:
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I don't think it is needed at all. You can simply type [code][/code] if you are going to actually type a bunch of code straight into the editor anyways. There really is no need for this as most of the people who will be pasting code will be doing just that...pasting it...not many people are going to writing code for the sake of writing code into the editor and if you have just pasted it, it will still be in your clipboard.

I dunno that is just my opinion on it.

Yea, I was about to say that myself, but why the need to type the code block when you can actually click just one button. :P Manually typing the block also has the chance for typos, incorrectly nested tags, etc.

But like I said, it might just be me, I just seem to have that happen to me a lot, which is the reason I made the suggestion. I actually kind of expect it to work that way. I'm guessing the habit stems from my usage of other bb codes. For example, if I'm writing a spoiler I also tend to write the text first, then select all of it and press the spoiler button. It might be a really simple code addition that makes it a little more intuitive.

The only real purpose that overlay has (for me at least since I never use it) is the ability to choose all 3 of the code types (html, php, code). Which, I feel could be accomplished by a simple drop down such as Delete / Save Draft.

Yea, I was about to say that myself, but why the need to type the code block when you can actually click just one button. :p Manually typing the block also has the chance for typos, incorrectly nested tags, etc.

But like I said, it might just be me, I just seem to have that happen to me a lot, which is the reason I made the suggestion. I actually kind of expect it to work that way. I'm guessing the habit stems from my usage of other bb codes. For example, if I'm writing a spoiler I also tend to write the text first, then select all of it and press the spoiler button. It might be a really simple code addition that makes it a little more intuitive.

Right, but most people don't type fresh code into the editor...they paste it and under that logic it would still be in their clipboard when they click the button and then pasting it takes a sec. To change it for the instances where someone is actually writing out code would be kind of overkill in my opinion.

However...I suppose that what you are suggesting has it's benefits and I don't really have a problem with the functionality being added as long as it doesn't change the way I use it currently.

The only real purpose that overlay has (for me at least since I never use it) is the ability to choose all 3 of the code types (html, php, code). Which, I feel could be accomplished by a simple drop down such as Delete / Save Draft.
I agree, a simple drop down would also suffice. Coincidentally I was thinking of this just before I read your post.

Right, but most people don't type fresh code into the editor...they paste it and under that logic it would still be in their clipboard when they click the button and then pasting it takes a sec. To change it for the instances where someone is actually writing out code would be kind of overkill in my opinion.

However...I suppose that what you are suggesting has it's benefits and I don't really have a problem with the functionality being added as long as it doesn't change the way I use it currently.
Yea there shouldn't be any difference if you don't use it this way, so not sure what you mean by overkill. Think of all the other bb codes, most of them support both methods. If you don't have any text selected, it inserts the opening and closing tag for you and places your cursor in between. However if you have text selected, it'll wrap the tags around your text. If the latter was removed they would be a pain to use. So I would like the same principle applied to the code tags, which I think is logical...
With the overlay it might be a bit more annoying to do, but using the drop down would be much easier, you would be able to easily add this feature because its supported by default tags and it would reduce some code.

Top Bottom