:D job done!

Just from the postbit? Not sure an addon is necessary, just use css:

Code:
.messageUserBlock .avatar img {
display: none;
}

:D job done!
Technically, could have used the code too and still made an add-on. :P

Truthfully.... I did it for someone else who is "shy" about editing thing.

I like template edits to have as an add-on, because my EXTRA.css is already full. Havning it as and add-on is really easy to turn it on or off and the transparency of the code you have extra added is certanly better.

I like template edits to have as an add-on, because my EXTRA.css is already full. Havning it as and add-on is really easy to turn it on or off and the transparency of the code you have extra added is certanly better.
I'm sorry, but is it even possible to have a full EXTRA.css? you know you can actually have more than one css template if you need to keep track of things. Using an addon for something like this - in my opinon - is moronic. It takes longer to add the addon than it does to add the css edit... and if you comment the extra.css correctly it makes things very simple to find later.

I'm sorry, but is it even possible to have a full EXTRA.css? you know you can actually have more than one css template if you need to keep track of things. Using an addon for something like this - in my opinon - is moronic. It takes longer to add the addon than it does to add the css edit... and if you comment the extra.css correctly it makes things very simple to find later.

This is the reason I keep my EXTRA.css nice and tidy. Here's a small snippet of the custom CSS for our KH-Flare 4.0 style:

Code:
/* Attached Files */

.attachedFiles .attachmentList {
  background-image: none !important;
}

/* Attached Files */

/* BB Code */

.bbCodeQuote .quoteContainer .quoteExpand {
  color: @primaryMedium !important;
}

/* BB Code */

/* Chooser Overlay */

.chooserColumns li a:hover {
  background-color: @inlineMod !important;
}

/* Chooser Overlay */

I also have it in alphabetical order.

I have my extra nice and tidy. No worries, but like template modifications more. Shoot me now :)

Like said, matter of perspective. I use edits in extra only for small corrections. Also, can't edit html there...

And yes, you can't have full extra.css, but a list can be very very long.

Anyway, enjoy your codes ;)

I have to disagree about using an add0n. On my development site the new style I am working on has zero template edits, including EXTRA.css. I use template modifications to load in my css classes, and only the classes that are required for the page being viewed is loaded. Each new css template is named accordingly for the page that is being loaded so finding the correct css to edit is super easy. Also the template modifications are only applied if the viewer is using that specific style.

I have to disagree about using an add0n. On my development site the new style I am working on has zero template edits, including EXTRA.css. I use template modifications to load in my css classes, and only the classes that are required for the page being viewed is loaded. Each new css template is named accordingly for the page that is being loaded so finding the correct css to edit is super easy. Also the template modifications are only applied if the viewer is using that specific style.
Template modifications as in the TM system installed already.. or uploading an addon for those changes. I can't decide what you're saying :)

Template modifications as in the TM system installed already.. or uploading an addon for those changes. I can't decide what you're saying :)
The TMS that comes with XF. The add-on that contains the template modifications will also add extra functionality for my live site, so when I am finished with it I just need to export the add-on from my dev site and import it to my live site, and the new new style changes will be applied along with the extra functionality. Zero template edits, yay, :)

Some of the things I use the TMS for in my new style is to increase the postbit avatar to 148px by 148px regardless if the members avatar is rectangular or not, move the Nav Tabs to the top of the page and fix it in place along with the moderator bar & login bar, and set the Top link in the footer to take the visitor to the correct spot at the top of the page (taking into consideration if the visitor has a moderator bar, or login bar, or neither), move the breadcrumbs around, and a few other things. :)

In my opinion using the TMS for these types of things is really convenient, and maintenance free. The best part is, you can apply the changes to one style only or all styles.

The TMS that comes with XF. The add-on that contains the template modifications will also add extra functionality for my live site, so when I am finished with it I just need to export the add-on from my dev site and import it to my live site, and the new new style changes will be applied along with the extra functionality. Zero template edits, yay, :)

Some of the things I use the TMS for in my new style is to increase the postbit avatar to 148px by 148px regardless if the members avatar is rectangular or not, move the Nav Tabs to the top of the page and fix it in place along with the moderator bar & login bar, and set the Top link in the footer to take the visitor to the correct spot at the top of the page (taking into consideration if the visitor has a moderator bar, or login bar, or neither), move the breadcrumbs around, and a few other things. :)

In my opinion using the TMS for these types of things is really convenient, and maintenance free. The best part is, you can apply the changes to one style only or all styles.
I can understand using the TM for avoiding template edits, what I can't understand is making an addon for something that just requires a css edit in extra.css and nothing more anywhere else :)

I can understand using the TM for avoiding template edits, what I can't understand is making an addon for something that just requires a css edit in extra.css and nothing more anywhere else :)
Not everything can be done via css in extra.css, although admittedly this can. But this PM I got yesterday, puts it down nicely

"Hey man. Thanks for the addon.
I'm learning xf and these small examples of code give me a better understanding. You rock
"

For all I know, this newbie can be a future developer.

So yes, there is more than one way to do it. But if it helps someone, I don't care how it's done, so long as it's useful.

Not everything can be done via css in extra.css, although admittedly this can.
Didn't say it could, I said I don't understand the point in making an addon for something that requires nothing more than a css edit in EXTRA.css. Especially when said edit takes less time than it does to upload and install an addon.

But this PM I got yesterday, puts it down nicely

"Hey man. Thanks for the addon.
I'm learning xf and these small examples of code give me a better understanding. You rock
"

For all I know, this newbie can be a future developer.

So yes, there is more than one way to do it.
I also never claimed there's only one way to do something.

Didn't say it could, I said I don't understand the point in making an addon for something that requires nothing more than a css edit in EXTRA.css. Especially when said edit takes less time than it does to upload and install an addon.

I also never claimed there's only one way to do something.
Convenience and personal taste.

I could have simply gave the instructions on how to do it manually, but someone would still have asked for an add-on as they had in the past.

I could have told people how to do it via extra.css, but someone would have wondered if there was another way. Just as giving the instructions doing it via template, would have brought replies that it could have been done via extra.css

So many scenarios, can't please everyone, call it whatever you like, the results are the same.

And in this case the add-on, did help someone else learn how things work. So while it may not be to everyone's liking or personal preference it is to someone else and that's the point.

Last edited:

In case he wants to expand on it, make changes, add options in the future... easier for people to upgrade an add-on than to undo/add-to template edits.

One of the reasons I decided to use an add-on to make changes to CSS instead of using EXTRA css is because of the overhead of unused classes being sent out; using an add-on to send CSS only when required keeps it optimized. If you are going to use conditionals to help keep things optimized then you may as well take that extra step and group them all under an add-on for the sake of simplicity.

And besides, template edits are not environment friendly. It is a lesser known fact that for every XenForo template edit made, a bullet ant weeps.:cry:

Top Bottom