XF 2.2 Registrations with Gmail not getting confirmation emails - stuck in Awaiting Email Confirmation

TheGroove

I know this likely isn't a Xenforo issue but would like to get some ideas on what I can do to repair this because it's really impacting people's ability to join my site. I now have dozens of gmail users in the Awaiting Email Confirmation queue not getting confirmation emails and they're saying it's not in trash or spam either. There are no errors in the logs, when I run the test email it shows successful, it will send to icloud but when I test with a gmail account it says it sent successfully but I do not receive it, confirming what my users are seeing.

Any ideas?

Is this a new site?

Are you using your web host to send email?

It sounds like your sending reputation is trash and your mails are getting blocked by Google.

This is what happens when you use shared SMTP servers provided by your web host - abuse or poor sending practices from other sites hosted by the same company affects your ability to get emails delivered.

You need to use a 3rd party email provider like AWS SES, Sendgrid, SparkPost, etc.

This post I just made in another thread is relevant - never use your web host's SMTP servers for sending email: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/mail-sending-limits-what-are-large-sites-doing.200318/

Is this a new site?

Are you using your web host to send email?

It sounds like your sending reputation is trash and your mails are getting blocked by Google.

This is what happens when you use shared SMTP servers provided by your web host - abuse or poor sending practices from other sites hosted by the same company affects your ability to get emails delivered.

You need to use a 3rd party email provider like AWS SES, Sendgrid, SparkPost, etc.

This post I just made in another thread is relevant - never use your web host's SMTP servers for sending email: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/mail-sending-limits-what-are-large-sites-doing.200318/
Site has been around for a while now, just using the default php but just did some digging in the logs and caught this:
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:128 CV=yes: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 550-5.7.25 [67.222.12.107] The IP address sending this message does not have a\n550-5.7.25 PTR record setup. As a policy, Gmail does not accept messages from\n550-5.7.25 IPs with missing PTR records. Please visit\n550-5.7.25 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more\n550 5.7.25 information. 192si5205281pgg.138 - gsmtp
So the host is taking a look to make sure we're setup properly here.

Site has been around for a while now, just using the default php but just did some digging in the logs and caught this:

So the host is taking a look to make sure we're setup properly here.
Just wanted to follow up that this was related to DNS on my end, while it worked with all other known domains, it would not with gmail until we added the "host" entry to my server IP address. Kudos to knownhost for jumping in and helping to flesh this one out.

Top Bottom