XF 2.1 Registrations from some IP addresses to require approval ?

webbouk

Is it possible to make registrations from certain IP addresses require moderator approval?

We have an issue with a repeat ban member who re-registers with a new name and free email address but throws up the same IP address most times.

The IP address is dynamic though so I don't want to block that IP completely, just to moderate registrations using it

Those settings will only take effect if the IP address is in the SFS database.

To answer the OP, no, it isn't possible to moderate specific IP addresses.

I have the same level set as above, however it is a known IP address that I wish to moderate/approve registrations from.

Virgin Media use proxies rather than fixed IP addresses for most of their customers, so a user could in effect share the same IP address with other users if routing through say for instance the Nottingham server centre.
Therefore it is not possible to place a ban on the IP address as it could effectively ban legitimate users and registration

Those settings will only take effect if the IP address is in the SFS database.

To answer the OP, no, it isn't possible to moderate specific IP addresses.
The OP specified that this is a repeatedly banned member.

Banned members are automatically submitted to SFS if this is enabled:

sfs.webp

If it isn't enabled, it should be.

If you don't have an API key, you can get one free here:

How similar are the IP's? If only the last set of digits change, you can enable "Prevent discouraged IP addresses from registering" and discourage the IP range at /admin.php?banning/discouraged-ips in this format:

255.255.255.0 /24

I haven't tested this but if subnets are supported, it will work.

The thing is though the banned member isn't a spammer, but a member who has been banned previously on several occasions who then re-registers, the common factor being the IP address.

We have an issue with a repeat ban member who re-registers with a new name and free email address but throws up the same IP address most times
The member uses a different user name, email address, and IP address each time they register.

So the SFS entries will have no effect, unless they happen to reuse an IP which is listed.
According to the OP, he "the same IP address most times".

How similar are the IP's? If only the last set of digits change, you can enable "Prevent discouraged IP addresses from registering" and discourage the IP range at /admin.php?banning/discouraged-ips in this format:

255.255.255.0 /24

I haven't tested this but if subnets are supported, it will work.

Just tested, it works.

The problem once again is the IP address is a proxy for a major UK ISP , so to discourage it would have an impact on other users and potential members

The problem once again is the IP address is a proxy for a major UK ISP , so to discourage it would have an impact on other users and potential members

You'd only be blocking the IP range of that member, the chance of blocking another legitimate user who visits the forum is almost non-existent.

Top Bottom