XF 1.2 Registration Email HTML vs. Text - Why two?

ProCom

I've abandoned any and all pride and will just post my dumb questions when I can't find the answers after much searching.

In xF I see the following phrases for the registration email:
  • user_email_confirmation_body_html
  • user_email_confirmation_body_text
Why are there two of these? When is one sent / used vs. the other? Do I need to configure both each time I want to change this email?

Thanks Jeremy!

Is the user's choice to receive HTML vs. text a user selectable field in their xF control panel (I couldn't' find it) or done at the service, client, ISP level?

If it works like email usually works (I didn't look into the XF code), a single standard email consists of 2 parts. The HTML part and the text part. If the mail client of the receiver is not able to show (or instructed to avoid) HTML, it will automatically show the text part. Otherwise it will automatically show the HTML part.

So you have to change both phrases in sync. Otherwise you don't know who sees what. ;-)

A good suggestion for the developers would be to expand XF to automatically strip all HTML from the code in the HTML phrase and create the text phrase automatically.

If it works like email usually works (I didn't look into the XF code), a single standard email consists of 2 parts. The HTML part and the text part. If the mail client of the receiver is not able to show (or instructed to avoid) HTML, it will automatically show the text part. Otherwise it will automatically show the HTML part.

So you have to change both phrases in sync. Otherwise you don't know who sees what. ;-)

A good suggestion for the developers would be to expand XF to automatically strip all HTML from the code in the HTML phrase and create the text phrase automatically.

But then the issue comes from when the email text isn't phrased and is just done via email templates. Although, the same thing can be done...

Top Bottom