Duplicate Refreshing 'New Posts' and going to alerts outside of the alert notice

The Grand Potentate

When you load the 'new posts' page, you obviously get the list of unread posts. But, if you reload it in your browser, the same list comes up except that now they are shown as read. To get a "new" 'new posts' list, you actually have to go to the 'new posts' button again. Is it possible to change this behavior?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
New posts functions as a search, and you get redirected to a search results page, so refreshing just requests the same search result set. I know Mike has said there are technical, well, logical complications with your second point. I'll see if I can find the post later (basically, if you tag me in a thread, its not guaranteed that I saw the tag if I refresh a page I've been sitting on, or if I've clicked "View New Posts", etc.).

As per the rules, one suggestion per thread please.

The first suggestion has already been made.

The second suggestion I cannot reproduce. The posts remain unread when refreshing the page.

As per the rules, one suggestion per thread please.

The first suggestion has already been made.

The second suggestion I cannot reproduce. The posts remain unread when refreshing the page.

Sorry, didn't know. I took out the alerts suggestion. Could you please edit the title to reflect just the new posts?

As to how to reproduce it, open new posts, then open a few threads there in new tabs, or just click on them and use the back button. Once you refresh the new posts page, it'll be the same list in the same order, just showing that you've read the threads you clicked on. But, if you've read them and there are no new posts in them, they should be removed from the new posts list, no?

My previous post explains this. But a little more detail:
find-new/posts creates a search for unread posts, and then searches. Once it searches it redirects you to the results set. The URL is not find-new/#/posts. Any subsequent load of that URL will retrieve the same thread listing as before, and properly tell you the posts which are unread and which are read. To achieve new posts, you would have to make a new request to find-new/posts which would perform a new search.

My previous post explains this. But a little more detail:
find-new/posts creates a search for unread posts, and then searches. Once it searches it redirects you to the results set. The URL is not find-new/#/posts. Any subsequent load of that URL will retrieve the same thread listing as before, and properly tell you the posts which are unread and which are read. To achieve new posts, you would have to make a new request to find-new/posts which would perform a new search.

Sorry, King. I didn't mean to seem like I didn't understand your previous explanation. I was just trying to expound on it for Brogan since he said he couldn't reproduce it.

It's a cached search result so technically it's not possible to do what you want.

You are seeing a cached listing of results - if you then read some of those posts and refresh the page, any read posts will be marked accordingly.

It's no different to how the recent posts page works.

Top Bottom