Lack of interest Refine name of Conversations so people know they are Private

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

NealC

I send SWAG to my paid forum supporters. In the process I ask them via conversation for their address. Several times in recent months I'm asked if this is private and then if so I'll get their address. There seems to be a perception that "Conversations" are not private such as called "Private Messages" on other forums. Maybe consider "Private Conversations" to give the proper perception that these are in fact private.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can rename the phrases as you wish for your own needs.

They are unlikely to be renamed "private" conversations.

Yes, on every other forum a pm is called a pm
It is very annoying to have to call it conversation
Eg I sent you a conversation ! dur

Yes, on every other forum a pm is called a pm
It is very annoying to have to call it conversation
Eg I sent you a conversation ! dur

PM has always been a misnomer.

The now commonly used DM is more accurate.

Plus Conversation makes it more clear that you may have several people participating in that comversation, not just two people.

And you can easily change the phrase if you wish to "Conversation-DM" or just "DM". I thought about doing that but by now most people using Xenforo for a while seem to use Conversation and DM interchangeably so it doesn't seem to be necessary. If you say in a thread, "I sent you a DM", most people know where to look to find it.

I would venture to guess they may be asking, not because of the word conversation, but because the format is literally the same as a thread. But you can edit your language to whatever you want.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

A good proportion of our members - probably a majority, but I haven't counted - still use PM as the shorthand for {whatever this is called}. It appears that XFs unilateral (?) attempt to change this term is not finding its way into common usage.

A good proportion of our members - probably a majority, but I haven't counted - still use PM as the shorthand for {whatever this is called}. It appears that XFs unilateral (?) attempt to change this term is not finding its way into common usage.
It's hardly unilateral.

Twitter has been calling them DMs for as long as I can remember. And why does it really matter what the shorthand term is? As long as people know what a "conversation" is and means, they can privately call it anything they want. And you, the forum owner or admin, can change the phrase to anything you want.

This is a non-issue.

On the original Wondercafe (RIP), private messages were called Wondermail. We considered whether to use that term on Wondercafe2 but decided we were fine with Conversations and it has stuck. I still slip and say I'll "PM" someone from time-to-time but I'm old school and a lot of other non-XF forums that I use do still call them Private Messages so that's just how my mind rolls. Don't use DMs enough on Twitter to get into the habit of using that term save on there.

The language is there for you to edit and intended as so. Everything is broken down into a word or phrase. XF is also blue. That doesn't mean you should keep it blue. The same way you customize your colors, you customize your language to fit your niche or audience.

However I am sure they will consider the suggestion. I wouldn't expect any languages changes in a minor version but in keeping up with the times, it could happen.

And why does it really matter what the shorthand term is? As long as people know what a "conversation" is and means, they can privately call it anything they want.
Case in point: Even on twitter, the feature is labeled Message and people say DM. It doesn't matter what you call it, but you are free to change it, XF makes this easy! I haven't actually seen a site that says "DM" on it. It's just jargon. And people say it on FB, as well as PM, and "Inbox me" "Message me" and "Hit me up private" whatever. Conversation seems to still work, but if your members are confused, change it.

Last edited:
are unlikely to be renamed "private" conversations.

However I am sure they will consider the suggestion

Or not, given Brogan's response. The fact that it is user customizable gives Xenforo very little reason to change the default, especially given that a significant non-zero number of us will probably just change it back because "Conversations" is what our members are used to.

Top Bottom