1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Reducing the width of forum

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by flowerpot132, Mar 3, 2015.

1. flowerpot132

flowerpot132 Formerly mugtree

Our forum is out the box and just like this support one (ie full screen width on PC/Mac).

I want to bring the forum in line with the rest of our site which is isn't full width of the browser. It is more like this width: http://www.axminster.co.uk/

This would mean removing the right hand side of the forum where the profile stuff, and the members online. And giving the forum a new header that is in line with our site.

Is that all ok? I still want the forum to act the same on mobile/tablet though so guess it can detect those screen sizes and still act like out the box.

Thanks

2. Rum Runner Entertainment

Rum Runner Entertainment Active Member

If I'm understanding correctly, you would just like to reduce the page width of the forums. If so, here is where you should go to achieve this: Admin CP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> General -> Page Width Controller then try adding this code in:
    Code:
    width: 960px;
    margin: auto;

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To retain the responsive design functionality, max-width should be used rather than width.

4. Rum Runner Entertainment

Indeed, sorry.

5. flowerpot132

Ok but can't it just be set to detect when the user is on mobile and then go back to max width or whatever it needs to be responsive on a mobile or ipad browser?

6. Rum Runner Entertainment

The latest version of XF is responsive and does detect wether you are using a mobile device or not, but the width of the page, only regards the main, desktop version of the site if I'm not mistaken @Brogan?

7. flowerpot132

Yeah is that right??

8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That is incorrect.

Responsive design works based on the browser width, not the device type.

9. Rum Runner Entertainment

Alright, I wasn't sure. Just an assumption because the latest XF version is responsive and mobile friendly.