Redis cache - worth it?

Jon12345

I already have litespeed installed on my server, which caches the guest visitors. Unfortunately, it does not cache logged in users.

If I add a Redis cache, will that speed up the experience of logged in users? Would it cache anything that litespeed doesn't cache for guests?

Database queries can be cached. Whether you notice a difference depends on the size of your forum.
I've always used Redis regardless of the forum size.
You can also use Xon's addons to cache view counters and flood checking in Redis.

Does litespeed not cache the database queries, presenting them as straight html? Are you not just having Redis cache but then litespeed does it anyway at the server level?

Not sure what Xon's addons are. I've got so much to learn!

I was thinking litespeed caches pages so that dynamic content doesn't need a mysql call. i.e. it is a database cache. Or are you saying that litespeed is effectively a database cache, but Redis will take care of the objects too?

Good to have someone who knows what they are talking about. I've found it a bit tricky to get the answers to these sorts of things. I love trying to make my site faster, it is good fun!

As I understand it, Litespeed will store and cache HTML pages for guests. Database queries are not cached and still may need to be performed if there is something new to grab.
Redis is primarily an object cache but it can cache database queries. To what extent in Xenforo, I'm not sure.

I read someone that litespeed caches stuff server site, so redis is duplicating some stuff. I will see if I can find the link to where I saw it.

I don't believe there is any duplication. Redis would be faster anyway since it caches to memory.
The best solution I think is a page cache (LSCache), object cache (Redis) and an opcode cache (PHP Opcache).
You can also configure XF to cache guest pages in Redis.

I was assuming that if I install Redis on the server, I have to update the config.php anyway for it to work?

Doesn't litespeed cache to memory too?

I was assuming that if I install Redis on the server, I have to update the config.php anyway for it to work?

Doesn't litespeed cache to memory too?

Yes, config.php needs to be updated.
Litespeed can cache to a ramdisk if you set it up.

Top Bottom