1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 redirect using htaccess question

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by EvilSS, Nov 13, 2014.

1. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

i was just reading through this thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/
    and doing some searching. but i could not find a .htaccess redirect from root to root.

the vb3.8 is install in root /public_html/
    what im wanting to do is, change the location of vbulletin into a folder say public_html/oldvb.
    then move xenforo to the root where vbulletin was, as ive finished converting from vb3 to xenforo.

now i need to find away to redirect all old urls from root to root if that makes sense?

i know how to redirect old urls from folder to folder, or root to folder etc. just wondering about redirecting example root installation:

i see this, but it has a folder called community:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/$
    RewriteRule (.*) /community/ [R=301]
    not sure what to replace community with if forums are in root.
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

EvilSS likes this.
  3. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

thanks jake. good job ;)

on a side note, to remove index.php in my url, all i do is rename htaccess text to .htaccess, thats it yeah mate please?
    and by doing this, should not effect redirection to new urls from that addon?

4. Jake Bunce

In addition to the .htaccess file there is an admin option which must be enabled:

Friendly URLs will not interfere with your vB3 redirects.
  5. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

i seen that thanks mate. so enable, and rename file to .htaccess and im set?
  6. Jake Bunce

7. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

sweet, its that easy, good job.

sorry, just looking at Index Page Route this should be left blank ?
    like, soon as i move xenforo to root, i no longer need to set Page Route?

8. Jake Bunce

The Index Page Route is normally "forums" which is the default index page. For example, if you want your root URL to show the XF member list then you could enter "members" there.
    EvilSS likes this.
  9. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

ahhh, yes, i see why, na thanks for that mate. great support. cheers/thanks.
  10. EvilSS

EvilSS Member

hi, sorry.
    i set the redirect file, but all old threads from google are redirecting to forum home page/root.

EDIT: sorry, stuffed up the import_log name. fixed, thanks.

EDIT: actually, clicking archive/index.php redirects to home root for some reason. though, posts threads etc work fine.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014