Redirect Script for vBulletin Blogs -> Better Blogs [Deleted]

Rigel Kentaurus

Why do you need those? Just put blog.php in your existing vBulletin installation and it will forward to the blog entries

I have .htaccess rewrites for threads and its throwing every blog entry into threads/blogID

Code:
RewriteRule [^/]+/([\d]+)-.+-([\d]+).html http://sitex/showthread.php?t=$1&page=$2 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule [^/]+/([\d]+)-.+.html http://sitex/showthread.php?t=$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule (.*) http://sitex/ [R=301,L]

I need this because I used VBSEO and because without this there would be no 301 redirection from two distinct websites going to one. For example Site A and Site B were merged into Site X which is a new site. This requires URL redirection for VBSEO.

For a further explanation there was SERP and PR associated with these landing pages. There were backlinks to these blog pages. Thousands of them. Redirecting people to the homepage or some error message is not the answer for my sites, because this results in a loss of backlinks, traffic, and content quality and control. This is why we try to do a 1:1 redirection and not simply a blind redirect.

I cannot help you with that level of detail. The script is a blanket solution for simple blog installations. For that much detail and your current site use case you need to get a coder involved, hire a developer or do some research to write the rewrites yourself. Even if I provided a basic .htaccess rewrite for vBulletin that would not work with vbSeo

So the product essentially is incomplete. I don't blame you, just the environment that has started here. People come on here and sell a script to post Recent Threads on the side bar for $6-$8 dollars for 10 lines of code. I'm not saying thats your script, but I've noticed the trend and its actually quite ridiculous.

So the product essentially is incomplete. I don't blame you, just the environment that has started here. People come on here and sell a script to post Recent Threads on the side bar for $6-$8 dollars for 10 lines of code. I'm not saying thats your script, but I've noticed the trend and its actually quite ridiculous.
Well, I would not be able to produce a .htaccess that works "just right" for your site, since you have vbSEO rules, and those are dynamic ... and vbSEO isn't even part of vBulletin ! :) I make sure that it works flawlessly on a default installation, but anything more customized than that, people are on their own for the extra work needed.

However, I don't understand why you need this. The way I did this at my own site (also with vbSeo, though for 3.8), was ..
1. Removed old blog.php
2. Plugged in new blog.php

Now, when a request came for blog/Kentaurus.1 (example) vbSeo rewrote that to blog.php?u=1, which hit the custom blog.php, which redirected to the XF installation. That should work. I never really needed any .htaccess

Reactions: HWS
For me this will not work. Too much content is being redirected, but you know what? That stuff will be reindexed and its not a big deal. I encourage you to keep working on this project. It is excellent given the age of XenForo and how soon you started working on this. Don't let other blog developers on here deter you. If possible, work together with them. I do not think there is an easy answer to this. The migration was a difficult process and continues to pose a challenge for my individual needs. As a priority, it is not major: getting the stuff back on the site was. This worked for me. So I have no regrets on that issue.

So I tried installing this with no luck. I just get a blank page at blog.php. I'm using this redirection script for vBulletin 4. I'm guessing that's the issue.

I need something like this as well. I simply want a better solution over seeing a constant spider looking for the old VB4 blogs that were vbseo rewrites too. .

I don't want blogs actually, they serve little purpose on forums. Just more clutter and redundant. I fell upon this looking for a rewite.

not sure what the solution is. I've done the basic robot.txt deny. Its not working well though.

Keep up the work. Love xenForo and all the enthusiasm.

Last edited:
I have a little problem with this, it works if the old vb blogs link is something like: blog.php?b=12345
But it doesn't work for links that looks like this: blog.php?bt=54321
I have a lot of them and as i have removed the old vb blogs I don't know where they went.

I have a little problem with this, it works if the old vb blogs link is something like: blog.php?b=12345
But it doesn't work for links that looks like this: blog.php?bt=54321
I have a lot of them and as i have removed the old vb blogs I don't know where they went.
Do you recall what bt is ?
It may require updating the blog.php script to also recognize the input parameter as bt

It looks like a blog post when I do a google search. I tested putting the link adress in the browser with b instead of bt but the same id, it didn't get redirected and I know that blog post is not deleted.
Searched and found another site with vb blog and bt
http://www.playdota.com/forums/blog.php?bt=160932
Also found the same post with another adress
http://www.playdota.com/forums/blog.php?b=146964

Maybe all bt should be directed to blog-home or something if it is the same content in both URL:s

I get the following error when testing the redirects.

"An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: Table 'indiana_xenforo.xf_import_log_blogs' doesn't exist in /XXXzzzzyyyy/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77"

Sure enough, the xf_import_log is empty. I assume this is because I archived the import logs. Any work around for this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom