1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Redirect issues

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by WCFA, Jun 18, 2014.

1. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Let me see if I can explain this. my XF is installed at www.anysite.com . So when you type in www.anysite.com
    it goes there. At install it was not put in sub directory so moving it would really be a pain.

However not sure how to do the following. I would like to make www.anysite.com/mainpage
    open when www.anysite.com was typed and then put a link to the forum.
    I realize I messed that up in the beginning and should have installed it in a sub but I didn't so wanting to install a website in front of XP but link it there.

Idea is so the new website can link to the XF that is in the root? Not sure how a redirect can work that easily ??
    Maybe I am over thinking what needs doing.

Thanks

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Why do you want a landing page to be at domain.com/url when your site is installed in domain.com (the root)?
    Surely the landing page should be at domain.com and forums should be at domain.com/forums?

Like this for example (which is installed in the root):

http://cliptheapex.com/
    http://cliptheapex.com/forums/

You could try changing the Index Page Route in Options -> Basic Board Information, which may achieve what you're after.

3. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Hi there, yes that is what I am trying to achieve, currently the XF site is at www.anysite.com and I if it was possible to move it to www.anysite.com/forum that would be great. I was not aware it was a simple move ?
    So using that option would allow the root open at that point to use say index.html? I was thinking an htaccess edit was needed. but you are saying XF will allow that move ? Or did I misunderstand?

4. Brogan

What do you plan to place in the root?
    A separate index/splash page?
    Or is it a XenForo add-on which you intend to use for a home page?
    Which is what is used on my site in the example above.

Moving an installation is fairly simple - it's just a matter of moving the files, updating the board URL and then implementing redirects.

But it's worth identifying what it is you're trying to do first, before doing that.

5. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

I am looking at a pretty simple page setup with links one of which would go to the forum.
    I was not aware of any add-on that could be used as a home page ? Just something other then the automatic forum
    that I can add links to maybe some information but simple.

6. Brogan

There are several add-ons which provide portal/home page functionality.

However, if you just want something basic, why not just create a page node and set that as the index route?

7. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Awww, so in the Index Page Route in Options -> Basic Board Information, if I pointed that to the node then at www.anysite.com
    would show that node and that would be that easy ?

8. Brogan

Yes, you would enter pages/page-name as the index route.

Bear in mind that the URL displayed in the address bar would be domain.com/pages/page-name.

9. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

10. Brogan

11. WCFA

WCFA Active Member

Brogan thank you, you saved me allot of unneeded work. I am sure the node-page will work out well.
    Whew that took a load off trying to solve the moving everything :)

RoldanLT likes this.