Implemented Redactor - Only prompt for Unlink when a link exists !

Digital Doctor

It seems like adding links is harder in Redactor than TinyMCE.
Why am I being prompted to remove links that don't exist ?
It's just adding a click for no reason.

Situation 1: clicking link icon with no highlighted text
upload_2013-6-5_16-0-21.webp

Situation 2: clicking link icon with highlighted text:
upload_2013-6-5_15-57-57.webp

Remedy options:
(1) only prompt for unlinking when there is a link to unlink
(2) removing Unlinking entirely (make the person delete the link and retype previously linked word).

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Remedy options:
(2) removing Unlinking entirely (make the person delete the link and retype previously linked word).
(3) separate linking and unlinking.

Remedy options:
Sometimes you need to edit the link. In that case link option on an already linked text serves the purpose. Hence it should not be hidden in case of linked text. :-)

I would appreciate if drop-down menus (like in color, size, font etc.) appear on hover rather on click. It will save us a click and be coherent with navigation drop-down menus. :-)

@Digital Doctor, what needs remedying? You asked for them to be separate and they are separated, so (3) is done. There's nothing else to do.
This new implementation actually simplified the link insertion dialog and we have lost the option to adjust the text which is to be linked. In the previous implementation that form used to contain fields for text and URL both. :-)

This new implementation actually simplified the link insertion dialog and we have lost the option to adjust the text which is to be linked. In the previous implementation that form used to contain fields for text and URL both. :)

That's different from what he's requesting to be 'remedied' tho. You may want to post a new suggestion or bug report about the can't edit text (it may have been an oversight).

Edit:
Bug report: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/link-cannot-edit-text.52398/ (As designed behavior)

Last edited:
I would appreciate if drop-down menus (like in color, size, font etc.) appear on hover rather on click. It will save us a click and be coherent with navigation drop-down menus. :)
The problem is that wouldn't work on a phone or tablet as they don't support hover.

Sometimes you need to edit the link. In that case link option on an already linked text serves the purpose. Hence it should not be hidden in case of linked text. :)
That's what I had in mind.

I would appreciate if drop-down menus (like in color, size, font etc.) appear on hover rather on
click. It will save us a click and be coherent with navigation drop-down menus. :)
Hmm ... interesting idea. I think the popups would get in the way too often. Unless you had to hover for x seconds ... but then clicking would be faster :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that wouldn't work on a phone or tablet as they don't support hover.
This phone and tablet (or touch interface in general) argument will fall into graceful degradation behavior. This is no different than the menus in the nav bar. To me, DD's argument is more convincing. Because the editor is below content area hence one (using desktop/laptop) almost always passes his cursor from over the editor toolbar to focus in the editor. In that case self appearing unwanted popups will be annoying. Although if buttons in the beginning of the toolbar are not the ones with popups then this issues will be less likely to happen. :)
Hmm ... interesting idea. I think the popups would get in the way too often. Unless you had to hover for x seconds ... but then clicking would be faster :)

That's different from what he's requesting to be 'remedied' tho. You may want to post a new suggestion or bug report about the can't edit text (it may have been an oversight).

Edit:
Bug report: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/link-cannot-edit-text.52398/ (As designed behavior)
I did not post a feature request or bug report because I knew that this is how it is in the current stable version. It is just that when they changed the editor, I have observed this new option and thought it was one of those small features that they did not mention in any of HYS posts. And now they have reverted it to make it the same as it is in the stable version. :)

@Kier did a fantastic job of styling the editor toolbar. Specially the fad-in/fade-out effect of gaining and losing focus sparkled me a solution to unwanted popup menu on hover. What id pull down menus like color, size and font chooser are bound with with hover over even rather than on click but only when toolbar is active. This way it will not come in the way very often and save us several clicks while editing a post. :)