XF 1.4 Recent posts vs new posts

jauburn

So on my forum, I have both "recent posts" and "new posts" in the submenu.

What's the difference?

I can't figure it out.

Was one of these put there by an add-on? If not, there's a degree of overlap there that neither my conscious mind nor my subconscious mind can get to the bottom of.

recent.webp

The difference is that one lists all posts sorted by time (Recent Posts).

So when someone posted 1 second ago something, you will find in both lists this message as the newest one.
Once you have viewed this post, it will disappear from your New Posts list. It won't be anymore the newest in your list, it just won't be there.
But in your Recent Posts list it will stay.

So how do I get rid of "recent posts"? If the difference between that and "new posts" is confusing to me, it'll be confusing to others.
Interestingly on my site it was requested to be added in. Some users prefer to see all recent posts, not just the new ones. They didn't like that Recent Posts was only available to them via the New Posts page (so 2 clicks to see Recent Posts. Now they are happy with the added link and no-one on my site seems confused between the two.

I added mine by editing the template. If you don't want yours and didn't add it manually yourself then you'll have to work out if an add-on did this and sort it that way, otherwise it could reappear if you don't remove it correctly.

So on my forum, I have both "recent posts" and "new posts" in the submenu.
What's the difference?

If a thread has 3 pages, and 30 posts (10 to a page), and the user has not entered this thread before, then they'll have 30 new posts.
If the user enters/loads page 2 of the thread (eg. search results lead them to a post on page 2) and then leaves the thread, is there;

a) still 20 new posts (page 1 and page 3)
b) still 10 new posts (page 1 is marked/considered read too since these posts are prior to page 2, leaving only the 10 on page 3 as unread)
c) no new posts (page 1 and 3 are marked/considered as read, because the user loaded page 2)

??

As the user has never entered that thread before, the answer is c).

But imagine he entered the thread before. Let's say 3 pages with 30 posts (10 to a page) but 10 new posts (so last time he entered he read the previous 20).
So there are 10 new posts for him.
Now imagine he enters this thread again, in page 2 (not 3!).
Then the answer would be b). As he is on a page with no new posts, the thread wouldn't be marked as read as the page he entered doesn't own any new posts to him.
So the new posts page would still show that thread.

You can test this behaviour on xenforo.com.

Interestingly on my site it was requested to be added in. Some users prefer to see all recent posts, not just the new ones.

Same here.

However it is confusing for members, so I edited the phrase so New Posts to appear as Unread Posts which I think is far clearer for everyone.

Top Bottom