Reading Rainbow Kickstarter

DRE

This is one kickstarter project I'll put money in.

Reading Rainbow (1983 - 2006) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_Rainbow

New Reading Rainbow Web Series Kickstarter
http://time.com/123119/reading-rainbow-kickstarter/
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8DLihxcj14

New Intro
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGhfI_NwcA

Old Intro
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQWrlTtrRFQ

Why it was cancelled:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi8adI4e2Lk

I'm stumped. Why would a major "brand" go and kickstart their project? I've known Reading Rainbow since the 80's.

Oh, how the mighty has fallen.

This came up on Reddit a few days ago and people made a valid point. You're backing it, which is great. But it's not free to schools in the long term. It's all subscription based, despite coming across as a very charitable thing, which it's not.

This came up on Reddit a few days ago and people made a valid point. You're backing it, which is great. But it's not free to schools in the long term. It's all subscription based, despite coming across as a very charitable thing, which it's not.
In the kickstarrter vid he says schools who do not have the funding for the subscriptions will get it for free

Watch the last video in the first post. Reading Rainbow was cancelled due to the previous POTUS 'No Child Left Behind' policy because they considered Reading Rainbow as not educational enough.
...Oh.
It seems that the formula isn't "working" anymore than it has in the 80's. Kids have moved on from the brand, for example, I used to read those books for a while until brands like Thundercats, Rambo (yes, there was a cartoon for it), TMNT, and so on and on. The TV show is worse, I can't stand it for 5 minutes before changing the channel. Yes, that's as a kid.

Also, the reason why the schools aren't investing in the books is not because of the subscription model; the brand doesn't have the same threshold that it once did. Because if it did still have that kind of threshold over the marketshare, those schools would have kept those books on subscription. It's the same thing as a magazine. Once the brand loyalty of the magazine has dwindled, it's finished. Done.

Last edited:
I was a fan of Thundercats (I even have the DVDs now), TMNT, and all those brands and shows. Yet, I still have extremely fond memories of Reading Rainbow and books. Just because there is technology and new mediums doesn't make it any less useful. I give them credit for realizing that TV isn't the most captivating experience for children and bringing the generation to the 21st century.

Reading is important to a child's early development. Reading Rainbow helped with that for me and many of my friends, if I had spare change right now, I would most definitely back them.

I bet it's nowhere near as awesome as 'Rainbow' - A UK kids/education show.

Stick through the horrible low quality and watch this:

Watch the last video in the first post. Reading Rainbow was cancelled due to the previous POTUS 'No Child Left Behind' policy because they considered Reading Rainbow as not educational enough.
The irony of that. Pretty sure it set US education back as kids who shouldn't have moved on, moved on.

I remember having watched the show in the mid 1980s. Good show from what I remember.

...Oh.
It seems that the formula isn't "working" anymore than it has in the 80's. Kids have moved on from the brand, for example, I used to read those books for a while until brands like Thundercats, Rambo (yes, there was a cartoon for it), TMNT, and so on and on. The TV show is worse, I can't stand it for 5 minutes before changing the channel. Yes, that's as a kid.

Also, the reason why the schools aren't investing in the books is not because of the subscription model; the brand doesn't have the same threshold that it once did. Because if it did still have that kind of threshold over the marketshare, those schools would have kept those books on subscription. It's the same thing as a magazine. Once the brand loyalty of the magazine has dwindled, it's finished. Done.
I think I might need a cliff notes version of this post. Can't figure out if your complaining about Reading Rainbow or the Rambo cartoon.

I was a fan of Thundercats (I even have the DVDs now), TMNT, and all those brands and shows. Yet, I still have extremely fond memories of Reading Rainbow and books. Just because there is technology and new mediums doesn't make it any less useful. I give them credit for realizing that TV isn't the most captivating experience for children and bringing the generation to the 21st century.

Reading is important to a child's early development. Reading Rainbow helped with that for me and many of my friends, if I had spare change right now, I would most definitely back them.
How would you feel about a Thundercats movie? It's only a matter of time before Michael Bay or Hollywood turns it into a live-action movie.

But yeah Reading Rainbow helped me alot too. I can't even afford to donate now but I can spread the word at the moment.

The irony of that. Pretty sure it set US education back as kids who shouldn't have moved on, moved on.

I remember having watched the show in the mid 1980s. Good show from what I remember.
Yeah they automatically pass you up a grade even if you fail. lol smh (n)

Just because there is technology and new mediums doesn't make it any less useful. I give them credit for realizing that TV isn't the most captivating experience for children and bringing the generation to the 21st century.
Me too. :)
Oh, I'm not negating their importance. It is very important.
I think I might need a cliff notes version of this post. Can't figure out if your complaining about Reading Rainbow or the Rambo cartoon.
Definitely not complaining about the Rambo cartoon, I'm not even complaining about Reading Rainbow, either. The reason that the group thinks that Reading Rainbow isn't "educational," is defined by what I said. The template for these educational reading books have been done to death, therefore the formula isn't working anymore. So, because of this, there isn't much Reading Rainbow can do, really. Unless you change the template to conform to the new subjects or subject matters that are currently going on in the world TODAY. Like, new creatures being born, new space research, new planets, new species, etc.

Today's About Reading Rainbow says you can be anything - so, they need to rein on that.
Exactly what I'm saying.

I remember 2 episodes from when I was young...there was a scene where there was one of those Rube Goldberg machines which I loved the idea of because I could build one myself with whatever was laying around, and there was another scene where they were featuring soapstone carvings of what I want to remember as Canto symbols which made me ride to the craft store on my bike a few weeks later and buy my first set of xacto knives and I started carving things.

As a young kid, you couldn't pay me to read, this show helped with that for sure by exposing me to things I otherwise would have not seen. I think it is a good thing...you go Geordi.

I'd also say the massive amount of money spent on two fruitless wars also ruined the US education system. That and our last state governor royally messed up the state budget. We're finally in surplus and expected to make more thanks to a simple tax increases which are minimally invasive. You could use as little as .09% to .25% of the yearly military budget and improve a public education across the country. It's really funny (in a crazy way) when you think about it.

Top Bottom