Read private messages and allow access to just 1 thread.

flowerpot132

Hello. I was wondering if the following is possible with xenforo....

Read private messages

As administrator can I read conversation members have between each other? I say this as I was thinking of having a "tender" section on the forum where users can request quotes for services. Instead of people replying to the thread with prices etc, they are invited to just send a private message to the user with their quote. However I would want to keep an eye on this to check services providers aren't slagging other suppliers off and doing anything too pushy to get the job.

Allow a user access to just 1 thread
Also I might invite a company to see a thread I think they can contribute to. Eg someone talking about insurance, then invite an insurance broker / expert to comment on the post. But I don't want them to see anything else on the forum.

For the first you can also check the database and search via a select query, or simply the search tool PHPMyAdmin.

As for the second, you'd need per thread permissions, that is going to be a little bit of a waste. Making it so you can only see your own threads is probably a better idea. Anyway, I'm not sure an addon exists for this.

Allow a user access to just 1 thread
Also I might invite a company to see a thread I think they can contribute to. Eg someone talking about insurance, then invite an insurance broker / expert to comment on the post. But I don't want them to see anything else on the forum.

A) Do you want to have a guest only to be able to see this one thread? Then this can be done even without addons.

B) Or do you want to have a specific user only access one single thread, while all other users (including unregistered guests) can see all topics? And do you want to have each specific user having access to a different thread? A hint: you could identify an incoming user by giving him a special URL like domain.com?specificuser=5 which then sets a cookie. Or you can setup a usergroup for all incoming users from a specific domain. But that is rather complex.

Thanks Marcus

Yes, so our whole forum is only visible to registered users to start with. Then I would like to ask certain people to register, then when I see their application come through I will check they are the person I have in mind and then allow them to register and access the forum. However I then only want them to be allowed to see one thread/discussion and they can then add their comment to it. Its an idea about allowing businesses onto the forum but they can only get involved with discussion we allow them to, instead of them being allow to view every topic and contact users and try and flog them stuff. We just want their knowledge on certain topics and in return they can have a link in their signature to their business.

Does that makes sense?

So your forum looks like this: Guest users: no access, they can only register or log in. When a user registers, they have to be manually approved. When you manually approve a user, you can assign him a specific usergroup like "regular member usergroup" or "business C usergroup". You can restrict forum access to specific usergroups. So you can have this structure:

"Regular forums" <- only members of usergroup "regular member usergroup" are allowed to see and create content
"Business forums" <- only members of usergroup "business A usergroup", "business B usergroup", "business C usergroup" are allowed to see content. They are not allowed to create content

You can assign each forums as much subforums as you like. You can add and restrict more permissions as "create content" to the business usergroup. This is all possible with stock xenforo, you would not need any addons. I suggest you take a look at the free available admin demo from xenforo.

Yes that is right! Apart from the restricted access is just to one discussion or thread, not a forum/node. So it would be:

"Business forums" <- only members of usergroup "business A usergroup", "business B usergroup", "business C usergroup" are allowed to see a certain thread. They are allowed to create content by replying to that thread.

By thread mean this as an example:
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ow-access-to-just-1-thread.82183/#post-820152

So I would grant access to the member to just this page, and send him a link to the page in case he can't find it the forum. He can then view it and reply, but that is it.

Not sure if that is possible to be honest, sounds a bit tricky.

Yes that is right! Apart from the restricted access is just to one discussion or thread, not a forum/node. So it would be:

"Business forums" <- only members of usergroup "business A usergroup", "business B usergroup", "business C usergroup" are allowed to see a certain thread. They are allowed to create content by replying to that thread.

By thread mean this as an example:
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ow-access-to-just-1-thread.82183/#post-820152

So I would grant access to the member to just this page, and send him a link to the page in case he can't find it the forum. He can then view it and reply, but that is it.

Not sure if that is possible to be honest, sounds a bit tricky.
XenForo doesn't handle permissions per thread but yes per node (you can't specify something like "Thread 2 can be read and replied by Business users only")

xenforo handles permissions by forums. So each forum can have a specific permission. You can also give on forum including all subforums a specific permission.

You could copy the real thread into the "business X forum" where your special user can reply to. As regular users do not have permissions to this forum, they will not get an answer. You might be able to copy his post to the real thread. When there are more relevant questions raised which he should answer, you copy the thread again and delete the old copy. You can setup a forum subscription for your special user, so each time some new thread is copied within his forum, he gets a notification. You could setup this with the admin demo available from xenforo for free.

Top Bottom