Reactions in XenForo - New feature

Sami Jalal

Hello

Just a question about that new feature! I see it the same as Facebook feature so is that legal in Europe and United States to use something was used before according to concept rights?

Really I`m confused about that!

I depends on how you are going to use this feature.

If you setup a forum that only contains smth like a business directory for medical practitioners and the reactions are used to rate that person it could get problematic.

I depends on how you are going to use this feature.

If you setup a forum that only contains smth like a business directory for medical practitioners and the reactions are used to rate that person it could get problematic.

Pretty sure he was asking about "intellectual property rights"

Hello

Just a question about that new feature! I see it the same as Facebook feature so is that legal in Europe and United States to use something was used before according to concept rights?

Really I`m confused about that!

Why do we have so many car manufacturers? There was the first car and then all other ones copied the "concept".
Why do we have so many chocolate bars? Or pencil makers? Jeans or t-shirt makers?

You cannot own the copyright for ideas.
What you can protect is the expression of the idea (design) and the invention of the idea (implementation).

So as long as you don't copy the code behind the scenes or the design, you are good to go.

IANAL, but my understanding is that you cannot copyright an idea. You can patent an idea, but unless there's a patent out there somewhere for a reaction system (and the person applying for the patent must sufficiently demonstrate that they were the first person to invent it - prior art) and no-one found it yet, I'm reasonably certain it's perfectly legal to implement this idea yourself.

The code itself is protected by copyright, but unless Kier is actually Kevin Mitnick himself and that's why he's not posting a lot (keeping a low profile to hide from the law), it's safe to assume that the code that will be used by XF2 was not copied from Facebook.

Fillip

What you can protect is the expression of the idea (design)

So are the two below photos with same expression of idea?

1.webp
2.gif

So are the two below photos with same expression of idea?

View attachment 185606 View attachment 185607
Its a good point, but no XenForo should not expect to get sued. Facebook copied Snapchat stories for example, no lawsuit that I am aware of. Even if they did, as someone pointed out, cannot really copyright an idea, but you can copyright its implementation. Theoretically there may be an implementation that has a copyright on Facebooks side. Lets assume there is (which I doubt there is)

1) FB would need to sue XF (never going to happen)
2) The copyright patent would need to hold in court, and a pretty straightforward way of "reacting" to something is probably not going to hold as there aren't many better ways of doing it

Apple and Disney got away with stuff like this for years though so who knows :P

Top Bottom